• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Amp Gauge Wire Reroute '67

MeyerzBronco

I am in the process of installing a Volt meter and removing the amp gauge.

I also want to remove the large amp wire from underneath the dash. Where is the best place to terminate the loop?

I couldn't find a good post on this issue, so sorry if its a duplicate.

-Todd.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I just leave the loop in place and unplug the alt. harness from it. The plug is located near the fender mounted starter relay. As long as your new alt. isn't charging through the wire that loop to the dash and back, there's no risk of a fire. Your new alt. should charge through a mega-fuse and connect to the battery or starter relay. I use a 4 gauge wire for that.

Mark

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What he said. If you're still using a standard power alternator (70a or less) and want to keep the wire intact, you need to keep the two halves plugged together or literally everything in the truck is disconnected from the battery.

If you're using a higher amp alternator, you're going to run a charge wire directly to the battery/starter relay anyway. But you still need to keep the wire connected under the dash and just disconnect it under the hood as he mentioned.

You can't easily eliminate the entire wire because it's basically the backbone of the entire chassis harness.
If you want to eliminate part of the system, you'll have to dig into the harness and follow it along until you reach the minimum operating distance and then re-splice the new ends together to complete the circuit again.
Easiest then, and likely safest, to keep the factory connector and simply plug it back together after removing from the gauge.

If the connector is compromised and you have to replace it anyway, then you can shorten the wire by removing as much as you're comfortable with and then splicing it back together.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What I would do...
Take the existing charge wire off the alternator and move it to the battery side of the starter solenoid. This way you have no wires left just hanging out, nothing needs to be removed, all the existing electrical will work.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
What I would do...
Take the existing charge wire off the alternator and move it to the battery side of the starter solenoid. This way you have no wires left just hanging out, nothing needs to be removed, all the existing electrical will work.

I was thinking the same thing to start with but then it wouldn't be fused by the fusible link.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good point. But I don't think it's in as dire need of that major protection any longer either. Since it's no longer being used to charge the battery, it only has to carry the current to the normal accessories.
However, adding protection is not a bad idea for that odd time when something short circuits the main wire. Just wondering how often, if ever, that has happened on a Bronco?
I can't remember any instances of a meltdown that did not involve the alternator itself.
Anyone else?

But if in doubt, it's also pretty easy to add a fusible link, or a fuse to that end as well.
My personal preferred method is to repurpose that wire for use on a separate power stud anyway.
And it could still be fused if needed.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You could take the old alternator wire and put it after the fusable link as well. Would probably do good for reducing voltage drop through the original wiring. Effectively doubling the main power feed to everything and removing the battery charge load off that wire.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
This shows the easiest safe way to do it:

(phone app link)

37 Bk/Y & 38 Bk/R can be abandoned, or disconnected & removed. But if you ever plan on utilizing the alternator's output inside the cab (like for a new fuse/relay panel, power inverter, A/C, etc.), they're handy to have.

This & the NEXT several show how to install & connect the voltmeter:

(phone app link)

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
You could take the old alternator wire and put it after the fusable link as well. Would probably do good for reducing voltage drop through the original wiring. Effectively doubling the main power feed to everything and removing the battery charge load off that wire.

Now your talking, that's the way I would do it. ;D