• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another charging question

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
Ok I have the 302 EFI and the Exp serp set up. its not charging at all. My alt is brand new as of about 1 hr ago. Battery is at 12.07 with key off and running its the same. the alt is at 14.7. I have the centech/RJM harness combo. any help would be great. Not sure if i have something hooked up wrong.

Also do I need a seperate ground for the Alt? I figured it should be grounded pretty good thorough the mounts.

Thanks Tim

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What do you have hooked up to where now? Easier for you to tell us then for us to guess 100 different senarios.

OP
OP
E

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
I got the adapter from RJM and thought i would be good to go. This plugs into the 1 wire for the Alt on the RJM harness and then hooks up to the Alt

Attachments

• 100_4680.jpg
    100_4680.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 14

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
See if that green-red wire has 12V with key on. How come I don't see an output cable coming from the alt?

OP
OP
E

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
where is the cable that is suppose to go from the alt to the battery:eek:

That might be what im missing. I dont have one. I can just run it from the yellow/white wire terminal to the pos side of the battery

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That might be what im missing. I dont have one. I can just run it from the yellow/white wire terminal to the pos side of the battery

Yes but it needs to be about a 6 ga wire. 130 amps is a lot of current.

beaux312

Loc.
Hartford, AL
no the lug on the aly suppose to have a cable going to the pos side of the battery

Attachments

• coldair box.jpg
    coldair box.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 16

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You were thinking that it was for the Yellow wire, when in fact that wire is supposed to just be sharing the post with the actual charge wire.

Since you have a Centech, what did you do with the large Yellow "ALT+" or "BAT+" wire? Is it hooked to the starter solenoid/relay along with it's counterpart Red "BAT+" wire? Whatever you do, don't leave it laying around unattended.

Paul

OP
OP
E

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
You were thinking that it was for the Yellow wire, when in fact that wire is supposed to just be sharing the post with the actual charge wire.

Since you have a Centech, what did you do with the large Yellow "ALT+" or "BAT+" wire? Is it hooked to the starter solenoid/relay along with it's counterpart Red "BAT+" wire? Whatever you do, don't leave it laying around unattended.

Paul

I capped it off with a few other wires for later use.