• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Chebby disc question

TOOLMAN

Does anyone know if you can use the backing plates from a 3/4 ton Chebby truck. I've read that you can and I've also read that you can't. Does anyone know for sure? I'm starting to put mine back together and the inner pad doesn't seem to fit at all and outer seems as if it is not going to make complete contact. It appears that the 3/4 ton backing plate may be too large.

Any advice would be great.

OP
OP
TOOLMAN

TOOLMAN

Thanks for the offer G's. Just for everyone's information out there, I utilized backing plates from a '78 1/2 ton and they work just fine. Cost me $16 bucks for the pair at the junkyard. The spindles from a '78 won't work but the backing plates are the same as the earlier years.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
There are 2 styles of backing plates the older ones are all complete cast steel others are just arms to hold the caliper with a tin plate for the dust cover .. Both work But the complete steel ones might be a little stronger

ztoolman44

Loc.
Farmington, Utah
Does anyone know if you can use the backing plates from a 3/4 ton Chebby truck. I've read that you can and I've also read that you can't. Does anyone know for sure? I'm starting to put mine back together and the inner pad doesn't seem to fit at all and outer seems as if it is not going to make complete contact. It appears that the 3/4 ton backing plate may be too large.

Any advice would be great.

Dont know a thing about the brakes but with that screen name I had to say welcome to the site.

Ranchtruck

There are 2 styles of backing plates the older ones are all complete cast steel others are just arms to hold the caliper with a tin plate for the dust cover .. Both work But the complete steel ones might be a little stronger

The 71 chevy I just pulled mine off of had one of each. I figured the complete circle steel one was from a later one because there were hammer marks on the spindle (doh!) from some clown working on it before. I'll have to file off some of the displaced metal that was shifting the inner bearing out on the spindle 1/16".