• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another day, another leak!? ANTIFREEZE

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
Hey guys. I woke up this morning to some antifreeze leaking after having a great day yesterday in the Bronco. It appears it is leaking somewhere just above the harmonic balancer near the hose clamp for the radiator hose.

I don't think it's the clamp, because the leak is coming from just above the underside of the hose, and then running down dripping onto the top of the harmonic balancer ( if that makes sense). Any thoughts as to where this might be coming from? Water pump?

1972 302

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
check and see if the weep hole is wet on teh bottom of the pump. it might be time to put one on.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
and double check the clamp they can loosen as the rubber gets old and shrinks.

OP
OP

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
check and see if the weep hole is wet on teh bottom of the pump. it might be time to put one on.

Btw, appears to be both the original water pump and timing chain cover.

I recently replaced both water pump and crankshaft pulleys w double groove pulleys, replaced the alternator w a 3G and also went w a Saginaw ps box. It looks like it may be coming from the area of where the alt adjustment bracket bolt goes in through water pump? Where would the weep hole be?

I will triple check that I tightened up everything, and also the hose clamp tightness.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The weep hole is on the bottom of the water pump shaft housing pulley might prevent you from seeing it.

OP
OP

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
The weep hole is on the bottom of the water pump shaft housing pulley might prevent you from seeing it.

Thanks. Yeah, I can't see or feel it, but from what u said, I think you nailed it broncnaz! Checked everything again, all is tight, and the leak is coming right from where u said the weep hole is located.

So....time for a new water pump then. Flowcooler from wildhorses or maybe the Supercooler from Toms? And while I'm in there do I replace the timing cover or timing chain? Harmonic Balancer?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
unless you are having cooling issues that you cant fix then i'd just go with a standard waterpump those flowcoolers can be a waste of money. I know guys that installed them and had temps go up so they went back to the standard.
As for changing anything else its up to you. timing cover usually doesnt need changing unless its damaged. HB well if your is old and suspect then it might be a good idea. timing chain well how many miles are on the engine? if close to 100,000 or over then I would say it might be a good idea. Of course a lot depends on the condition of the rest of the engine if its already getting tired then a timing chain swap may not really do much.

OP
OP

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
Thanks. I have had no cooling issues thus far, so I may just try a stock pump. As for the mileage, just bought it a few months ago and unfortunately do not know the actual mileage. With my limited mechanical experience, just dont wanna get in over my head w swapping the harmonic balancer and the timing chain.

Maybe I just stick w the waterpump for now :).

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Go to Auto Zone get a radiator pressure check kit. You pay for it use it for up to 90 days and then take it back for a refund.

Remove your radiator cap. Install the adapter and gauge. Pump it up to the same pressure as stated on your radiator cap. Let it sit and look for leaks.

I chased a leak for far too long before using their kit. The kit makes it easy. I had to let mine sit for a couple of days at a time before I was able to stop the leak. Mine was caused by a water pump bolt that was torqued down but it wasn't tight enough to compress the gasket for some reason. I put a wrench on it and decided it was either going to stop leaking or I was going to be removing a broke bolt. I put a wrench on it. Started to tighten it more. It broke loose form whatever that was in the threads and then it tightened up.