• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Coolant Leak - But Where?

OP
OP
bostonbronconut

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
Somebody posted the correct gasket to be used with an aluminum intake back above but tell me one thing,how much pressure did you pump up to get that many leaks?I had a 63 Ford with the 221 engine that had an intake leak so small like yours that I drove it for 5 years and only added anti-freeze once.But my leak wasn't aluminum to cast iron either.20 pounds should be enough pressure to test for leaks.

It is the Felpro 1250 S-3 that is recommended. The general consensus is that the regular Felpro 1250 would blow out after a year or so.

I used 10 pounds to test the radiator - I could probably go higher but I was seeing enough leaking/dripping with that pressure that I was satisfied.

To put my mind at ease, I am just going to replace the intake gasket and know that I should be good for a few years.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It is the Felpro 1250 S-3 that is recommended. The general consensus is that the regular Felpro 1250 would blow out after a year or so.

I used 10 pounds to test the radiator - I could probably go higher but I was seeing enough leaking/dripping with that pressure that I was satisfied.

To put my mind at ease, I am just going to replace the intake gasket and know that I should be good for a few years.

Yes, the Felpro 1250 S3 is the one to get. It has a steel reinforcement.
The problem though is this gasket doesn't have opening for the exhaust riser.
Many of us don't use the exhaust riser, but depending on your climate, you may want to keep it functional.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1250s3/overview/

OP
OP
bostonbronconut

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
I finally got around to removing the manifold intake to take a look at the gaskets and to get an idea of what is happening underneath everything. One surprise I didn't see until I removed everything was a leak that might be coming from the temperature sensor (see photos). I'll pop that off to see if there are any cracks or issues that require replacement.

My plan is to clean out the engine and smooth out the engine walls so the gasket will be flush against the walls. I'm using Nashville Bronco's Installing an Intake Manifold video as a guide for the gasket swap (https://youtu.be/vq7lfKvVm3Y?t=415). He recommends NOT using the front and back gaskets provided with the Fel-Pro and using RTV instead. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• engine-manifold-removed.jpg
    engine-manifold-removed.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 18
  • engine-driverside-gasket.jpg
    engine-driverside-gasket.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 19
  • engine-passside-gasket.jpg
    engine-passside-gasket.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 17
  • top-manifold-leak.jpg
    top-manifold-leak.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
bostonbronconut

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
Here are some more photos with the gasket off.

Newbie question: Is there supposed to be oil and coolant under the manifold like in the photos?

Attachments

• top-down-view-no-gasket.jpg
    top-down-view-no-gasket.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 20
  • oil-coolant-under-manifold.jpg
    oil-coolant-under-manifold.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 19
  • bottom-of-intake-manifold.jpg
    bottom-of-intake-manifold.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 19