• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another F250 shock mount question

Benny

Loc.
Humble, TX
Ok two questions.
1. Will the F250 mounts fit in the stock wheel well with no body lift. Assuming that they are aligned close to the bottom of the frame? My originals were cut off by the previous owner for hoops and the body is currently off so I have no real reference points.
2. Those of you that have done it did you notch the mount for shock alignment?
Thanks

bchesley

Yes they fit in the stock wheel well. I am not sure what you mean by notch the mount though? I welded mine about a half inch off of the bottom of the frame. I should tell you though that I tore mine off the frame wheeling it pretty hard. If you are going offroad with it you might consider a hoop that has more frame contact.

PaveBronco

I was able to use an existing hole to put a bolt through along with welding, a lot of welding all the way around. I've heard some folks put a gusset on the backside also. Also took me awhile to find the right shock length for the suspension droop plus a couple..

Attachments

• F250 Shock Mount (2).jpg
    F250 Shock Mount (2).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Front Shock Mount 1 (2).jpg
    Front Shock Mount 1 (2).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Benny

Benny

Loc.
Humble, TX
Thanks for the replies. The notching that I mentioned is from the tech article. It involves pie cutting and re-welding the bracket to better align the mounting points.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The left wheel well on '76-'77s is angled down to clear the power brake booster. This won't clear the F250 shock mount. On my '77 this will require an earlier left side wheel well to use the F250 shock mount.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1. Will the F250 mounts fit in the stock wheel well with no body lift. Assuming that they are aligned close to the bottom of the frame? My originals were cut off by the previous owner for hoops and the body is currently off so I have no real reference points.

If you mount them flush with the bottom of the frame it will probably very close to the wheel well. I have a 1" BL and my mounts hang below the bottom of the frame by about 1" inch and I have 2" of clearance at the top. Can you wait to get the body back on? Also, it would be best to know the shock you plan to use and the stroke so you can mount the shock mounts in the sweet spot having the right amount of compression and droop.

2. Those of you that have done it did you notch the mount for shock alignment?

Yes I took out a small pie shaped section out of the mount and welded it up to move the shock away from the frame approximately 1". This allowed more clearance if one side or the other is at full droop. I felt the shock would hit the frame of I dropped one tire in a hole.

Hope this helps