• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Fuel Line Connection & Routing Question

kiteoregon

So i have my tanks back in the stock location, i have an electronic valve and carter pump. I plan on either stainless or stainless braided line. What is the best way to connect to either tank or the selector valve, each of them have a barbed fitting. Do you use something like an AD to barb adapter? Seems like there would be a more robust way to do this.

On routing, once the fuel line come up the driver side frame, where do you route it up to the engine, do you convert to a rubber line as it head up, or do you leave it stainless all the way to the carb? I would expect some sort of fitting as the fuel line leaves the frame so that it can be disconnected in the event of engine removal. Should the disconnect point be mounted to the firewall vs. the frame? If you happen to have any pictures that would be great.

Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Either rigid or flex stainless line is workable. I thought I preferred rigid, but have now done both and both actually look pretty clean and work well.
Definitely want a connection between the frame and engine, and I prefer some sort of flexible line for vibration and long-term use.
Probably not as needed as I think, since a length of hard line is still somewhat flexible over that span, but flex line interfaces make sense.
And that's what the factory does too, so that's enough for me.

Since you can mount the new valve just about anywhere, try to get it farther back so you can run one fuel pump for both tanks. Just simplifies wiring and maybe plumbing.
Reason for it so far back is that electric pumps like to push, not pull, so the pump should always be as close to the tank as possible. A bit tricky on an EB usually, but doable.

I'm sure others will have good advice. So back to the top.

Paul

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I made brackets at both ends of the frame rail run. In those I used bulkhead fittings, AN on one end and a Push-to-Connect fitting on the other end (I used nylon for the length of the frame). Push-lock/Barb-tite hose ends screwed onto the AN fittings connect emissions fuel hose to the pump & filter, and to the carb. Currently there are exactly two hose clamps in the whole system. One at the carb inlet (which will go away once the SEFI is in place) and one at the fuel tank (not sure yet how I'm going to get rid of it, but I will). While I was at it I plumbed in the return line too.

Bulkhead at the firewall (prior to the carb line being installed):
i-gPdtdCt-M.jpg

Bulkhead at the fuel filter:
i-mwzBd8k-M.jpg