• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Question!!!How to reduce play in steering?

ebman74

Loc.
Manassas, VA
My bronco has a rancho steering stabelizer and stock pump. It has alot of play in the wheel. How can I tighten the steering feel up? Do I need a new stabelizer? Hydralic? What?
Thanks again!

Delta4WheelDrive

Loc.
Bakersfield
ebman74 said:
My bronco has a rancho steering stabelizer and stock pump. It has alot of play in the wheel. How can I tighten the steering feel up? Do I need a new stabelizer? Hydralic? What?
Thanks again!

You need to find out where the play is coming from. Forget about the stabilizer and the pump, they are not your problem. Do you still have the rag joint? IMO, it is either your rag joint or your box (giving that all your steering componets; ball joints; are in good order.

There is a psudo adjusting screw on the top of your steering box. This can be adjusted VERY LITTLE to take up some of the play. I never adjust it more than 1/2-1 full turn. This is not a fix for a shot steering box.

Crawl underneath the horse and have someone turn the steering wheel side to side and look to see what is moving or not moving. Do this while looking at the steering box and rag joint as well.

Hope this helps...

velpoe

Loc.
Cumberland, MD
Follow Delta's advise. You do not want to overtighten that nut on top 'cause that can bend the sector shaft. Mine is loose too...and leaking like a sieve. I just try to drive it enough so I'm used to it and can keep it straight :cool: . Mine also doesn't return to center after a turn. Again, more practice and I hardly notice it now.

hlkilby

Loc.
Joplin,MO
Play in steering

I replaced several things, but finally broke down and had the steering box rebuilt by West Texas. This did the trick. I suggest you take it to someone to look at who can give you some advice or you'll end up like I did. Replaced damn near eveything, then spent the money on the box, and problem was solved!

Good Luck!

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
i had the same problem, then i replaced my drag link, and it tightened the wheel up drastically. I got the adjustable one which makes the install super easy, but ripping the old one off the tie rod takes some sweat