• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Speaker Location Thread

Cooter_76

It's time to hook-up some tunes so I can get out and really enjoy this weather!
I'll be installing a CD player in my new Tuffy center console (thanks Mass Buy!). For the rear I have a pair of 6x9 marine speakers and plan to fabricate some rear panels similar to those in edge4's gallery.
I have come up with some options for the front speakers and would like some opinions/other options.
I'll probably come up with a quick-disconnect for the wires so I can stow the speakers in the Tuffy for added security.
Option 1 is to mount them to the transmission tunnel:

Attachments

• Option-1A.jpg
    Option-1A.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Option-1B.jpg
    Option-1B.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 225
OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Option 2 would mount them under the dash and might get in the way:

Attachments

• Option-2.jpg
    Option-2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Option3: Hanging from the roll bar:

Attachments

• Option-3A.jpg
    Option-3A.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Option-3B.jpg
    Option-3B.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 87

D ROCK

I would tend to lean toward option #1. I got a tuffy box from the mass buy to put my speakers there. On the roll cage they are right in your face, and under the speedo, it could get tricky for leg room. :cool:

bannind

Gonna be honest here, I don't personally like any of the locations, with those speakers - I just think it looks all wrong (or it could just be a jealous streak coming through because you have tunes in your ride and I am still without). I am not a big fan of speakers like that, it almost reminds me of being in High School and putting the home theater speakers in the back seat. If you are dead set on using one of those options, then option 1 is the lesser of all the evils. I am not sure what the budget is on the project but have you thought about using the Tuffy front speaker box? http://www.tuffyproducts.com/speaker/065.html If you don't want to actually buy it, I am sure that after looking at the box you could probably home fabricate something like it.

Just my 2 copper pieces.

dan

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
I've got a set like those as front speakers in my '68. I used the sun visor mount screw thru the bracket and angled them in towards the center of the truck. With the fader set right I get just enough sound to compliment the rear speakers but not be too much that close.

waternut77

Loc.
Suffolk, VA
has anyone ever tried to fit one of the units from a Heep rollbar unit onto a EB rollbar. My buddy has a new rubicon and I was thinking when I go to my rollbar made I could get it made so that this option would work. The only real requirement I can see is that the speaker needs to be placed in a location where the pipe meet each other at a 90 degree angle. Just a thought

Chris

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Thanks for the feedback!
I think I'm going to go with the rollbar option. The speakers are small enough that they don't obstruct my field of view. I'll also spray them black so they don't stick out like a sore thumb.

The Tuffy speaker box is nice, but I'm already stretching my budget with the Tuffy console. I hope these small box speakers will do a good job of directing the sound at highway speeds, as well as supplementing the 6x9s when cruising around town.

I'll post pics & results once they're mounted...hopefully next week.

MrLavender

In the front I drilled large holes under the dash into the area behind the fenders,and put in 6" marine coax speakers with baffles to prevent them from getting muddeed up on the backside(baffles make them sound better too). the drivers side should be a no brainer, but the passenger side could be a problem if you still have the fresh air intake. the po on mine had already taken out the intake, and covered over the hole. for the rear, i put them in the space just in front of the rear fenderwells, and there was just enough room, but this only works if you arent running the front tank, like me. i will take some pictures if anyone is interested. it seems like a pefect spot for them - i dont know why more people havent done it.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you don't mind cutting and leave your doors on all the time...

I also think you are making a cosmetic mistake with the white speakers, at least roll them in the dirt a little.

Jeff in AZ

Attachments

• door panel.jpg
    door panel.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 175
OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Not to worry, I'll definitely be painting those things black.

I'd prefer not to cut the doors at this time.

I'm interested to see MrLavender's pics.

Buckshot

Loc.
BC, Canada
airman, i like those wood panels, theres an EB around here with a wooden floor, real well done too, anyone here tried it?

MrLavender

The rears were a pain to get in - had to take out the roll bar to drill the holes...

Attachments

• speaker-FL.jpg
    speaker-FL.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 183
  • speaker-FR.jpg
    speaker-FR.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 171
  • speaker-RL.jpg
    speaker-RL.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 164
  • speaker-RR.jpg
    speaker-RR.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 155

sellers69

Loc.
Durango, Colorado
How well does the Heep speaker box work in a Bronco it looks like it is shapped to fit around a heep tunnel and ours is nice and flat and wider than theirs? I thought it was a really cool idea but I dont want to slice it up as soon as I get it?
Mr. Lavender Thats awesome... truly first rate

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I have the Tuffy Heep box in my Rig. I cut off the little leggy's & mounted it on its back & it fit just fine!!!!

attachment.php

Vin-Man

Loc.
Milford, Illinois
Buckshot said:
airman, i like those wood panels, theres an EB around here with a wooden floor, real well done too, anyone here tried it?

Not mine, but I saved these a while back cause I thought it was cool.

3ce7f4fbbc.jpg

d00b315cb5.jpg

757f4fb8d3.jpg

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Vin-Man said:
Not mine, but I saved these a while back cause I thought it was cool.

Wow, I have never seen that before. That looks sweet!