• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another tailgate adjustment question

omureebe

So looking at my tailgate as I try and open it, the driver side unlatches perfectly but the passenger side doesn't unlatch enough (see pics). Is there a rod adjustment or something that would engage the passenger side more?
Thanks!
Omar

Attachments

• IMG_3647.jpg
    IMG_3647.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3648.jpg
    IMG_3648.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 48

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
In the pictures are u pulling on the handle as in opening the tailgate or is it in the closed position? If closed then the one with the gap i'd suspect has tension on the rod not allowing it to latch all the way ,,have you had the handle assembly apart to see condition of all parts for wear/binding

OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

In the pictures are u pulling on the handle as in opening the tailgate or is it in the closed position? If closed then the one with the gap i'd suspect has tension on the rod not allowing it to latch all the way ,,have you had the handle assembly apart to see condition of all parts for wear/binding

So the first pic is it in the closed position. The second pic in the open position - I'm pulling the handle to full extension.

If I took the same pics on the driver side, I can see the driver side fully opens. But on the passenger side.... just a little and it's a PITA to get open.

Thanks

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
take it apart. maybe a bent rod from forcing it previously. not much can go wrong in there. Bent rod would make it shorter so it would pull further though. So my first thought dont make much sense.

maybe you dont have the correct rods in there? maybe something got backyard fabricated years ago. Its preetty simple, here are some schematics.....

https://www.lmctruck.com/1966-77-ford/fbr-1966-77-tailgate-and-components

OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

take it apart. maybe a bent rod from forcing it previously. not much can go wrong in there. Bent rod would make it shorter so it would pull further though. So my first thought dont make much sense.

maybe you dont have the correct rods in there? maybe something got backyard fabricated years ago. Its preetty simple, here are some schematics.....

https://www.lmctruck.com/1966-77-ford/fbr-1966-77-tailgate-and-components

I ended up shimming the passenger side mechanism with a washer and could move the receiving end a bit, and that aligned it out just enough to work - thanks for the replies!