• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another tire thread

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
I am in the market for tires. I daily drive and would say that is about 80/20 as far as on road / off-road. When I am off road it is mainly logging roads, mud, and some high desert. I am looking for a dual purpose tire. I am going to buy 35 x 12.5 unless I go with the IROK 36". I run the old BFG MT now and I am happy on and off road and I am looking for similar or better performance and the same amount of road noise (I don't want tires louder than my BFG's.) I have narrowed it down to SS TRXUS, IROK's, BFG AT, BFG KM2 and the big dollar toyo open country MT. These are the only tires I will consider for various reasons and I am leaning towards the TRXUS. So what do you all think?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
telling ya, look at the Firestone Destination MT's very happy with them

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I have the BFG 35x12.50-17 MTs and I love them. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore. I have not tried the KM2 (I think that is what they call them). I was cruising at 70 MPH down the highway this morning and they were super smooth and the noise level is not bad for a Mud Tire. I have about 3000 miles on them and so far the wear is really nice (barely noticeable). If I had to do it over I would likely go with the BFG All Terrains.

OP
OP
Dowd

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
I have the BFG 35x12.50-17 MTs and I love them. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore. I have not tried the KM2 (I think that is what they call them). I was cruising at 70 MPH down the highway this morning and they were super smooth and the noise level is not bad for a Mud Tire. I have about 3000 miles on them and so far the wear is really nice (barely noticeable). If I had to do it over I would likely go with the BFG All Terrains.

I have the old BFG's as well and wish they still made them.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
Just wanted to point out the IROK 36's measure big, (36.8 inches according to their site), while most 35's measure about 34 - 34.5, so there is about a 2 inch difference. Thought that tidbit might come in handy when selecting tires......

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Just wanted to point out the IROK 36's measure big, (36.8 inches according to their site), while most 35's measure about 34 - 34.5, so there is about a 2 inch difference. Thought that tidbit might come in handy when selecting tires......

This is true. My 36" IROK's dwarfed another set of random 35's that I had sitting next to them.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I would stick with BFG.
BFG has an excellent reputation for a reason.
MudTerrains KM2 specifically, very good road tire at the same time. I don't recommend the BFG all terrains - not so good in the mud of a logging road - the voids will fill and you'll lose traction.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
There's nothing wrong with BFG AT's from the use you describe. Quiet, ok for your type wheeling, Long life.
Swampers would be almost the exact opposite.;)

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
There's nothing wrong with BFG AT's from the use you describe. Quiet, ok for your type wheeling, Long life.
Swampers would be almost the exact opposite.;)

It depends. Dowd says he does mud and logging roads do get muddy. I know for a fact the BFG AT's suck in mud. Now they are a great road tire, so if that is more important then yes, I'd recommend them, but I would avoid mud.

Here's some good reading on this and other tires...

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/BFG-All-Terrain-TA-KO.htm

BTW, I love my IROKS off road, but they are loud and wear fast on pavement. My BFG mud terrains have close to 25,000 miles on them. Love'm, great dual purpose tire, but with a 16.5" rim, not available.

OP
OP
Dowd

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
Anybody ever run or know someone with TRXUS. I have read good things but never known anyone who has them.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
Do you know how loud they are compared to BFG MT in your opinion.

The Iroks are quite a bit louder than the BFG MT's. You can hear them hum from a ways away. Not sure about the KM2's, but they have that Krawler look, which I've wanted forever.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Anybody ever run or know someone with TRXUS. I have read good things but never known anyone who has them.

FASTERDAMITT on this board ran them. He said that he liked them quite a bit, but they wore faster than he liked.