• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another tire thread

OP
OP
Dowd

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
Dowd , more sizing options ..... just about every tire store / manufacturer website has a "specs" link for their tires.
Here is an example from tire rack for Goodyear Kevlars. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Wrangler+MT/R+with+Kevlar&tirePageLocQty=

Notice in the overall diameter column , it is given in inches , even if it is a metric size tire. The 315/70-17 (34.7") is within 1/10th of an inch of the 35x12.5-17 (34.8").

Just to give you even more sizing options and help drive you insane. :)

Thanks for the great info, I like to over think my buying decisions sometimes but I want a tire I'll be happy with for the next 3-4 years. Just trying to save money by finding a tire I could run on the bronco and the f250 and also a way to get new tires for the Bronco more often as they usually rot off before they wear out.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is a good idea , my BFG AT's on the bronco are the pre-KO's. I bought them in 96/97 . Hard to believe , but they still look great(no dry-rot). Hell , I think they still have the casting tits on them .....

Might have to steal that idea , I wonder how those D's will ride. Heck , new rims can be had for $250/set.

OP
OP
Dowd

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
That is a good idea , my BFG AT's on the bronco are the pre-KO's. I bought them in 96/97 . Hard to believe , but they still look great(no dry-rot). Hell , I think they still have the casting tits on them .....

Might have to steal that idea , I wonder how those D's will ride. Heck , new rims can be had for $250/set.

Everyone
Thanks for all of the great input/ideas so far. I am going to wait until the end of August or so to buy. From what I've heard so far leaning toward BFG MT with Toyo in close second.

got-broncos

Bronco Guru
I have the interco trXus mud terrains and I love them. They make little to no noise on the road. Mine are 33x12x16.5, I wish I had bought 35s. They have done great off road. I would recomend them.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
Anybody ever run or know someone with TRXUS. I have read good things but never known anyone who has them.

haven't talked to many people with the TRXUS MT's, but the STS doesn't wear quite as well as i expected. i've talked to a few people who have run them and not got a lot of miles out of them. 0k to 25k tops. they also hum like a mud tire. the few people who i've talked to about the MT's were happy, but again a swamper and soft tread compound.

what kind of trails do you hit? rock? mud? just trail riding? that'll give us a good idea to steer you better.

i'm also hearing a LOT of good reviews about the mickey thompson MTZ's.

OP
OP
Dowd

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
Spent A LOT of time researching tires for my SD at http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/ and http://www.tirerack.com/, there was A LOT of discussion about going from E's to D's , which is what I did. There is a noticeable difference in the ride (softer) , the guys that trailer near max weight alot said the D's felt less stable , so my concern would be buying a "regular" tire for the Bronco and then have it end up on the very heavy Super Duty.

I talked to a tire guy that I trust and he runs Toyo's with an E rating on his heep that he only drives about 5000 miles a year then swaps to his superduty when it needs tires. He said they ride fine just runs lower tire pressure on the heep.

bumster

Loc.
roseburg, oregon
wish i could of giving you my input at the time you were looking for tires. i work for les shwab and we are the number one seller of toyo's by far. but dont get the wrong idea i see tons and tons of different mud tires and i have seen way more bfg's with rocks punched through the tread than any other tire. the toyo is spendy yes, but they are tough and wear great. i run 37/1350/17's on my bronco and love them. got about 65k out of the last set
just my input but i recommend them