• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anti-theft - GPS - Kill Switch

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
With my Polaris Ranger recently being stolen from my house, I need to make sure I am on top of anti-theft for when my bronco is back.

Curious what GPS tracking units people have used and like?

What about kill switches?

Alarm Systems?

Trying to make sure I get it done right the first time and deter as many pos thieves as possible.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A lot of car thefts are done with flat bed tow trucks, especially on higher value vehicles.
How often does anyone pay any attention to a car being loaded onto a tow truck?

Just like the easiest way to burglarize a house is to pull up with a moving truck and haul away everything ... nobody pays attention to that.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
A lot of car thefts are done with flat bed tow trucks, especially on higher value vehicles.
How often does anyone pay any attention to a car being loaded onto a tow truck?

Just like the easiest way to burglarize a house is to pull up with a moving truck and haul away everything ... nobody pays attention to that.

This is 100% dead on. That is how they stole my polaris ranger... put it in a moving truck.

So with this, I need to have a device that notifies me when the vehicle moves. This way, if someone puts it on a flatbed, I am notified immediately that the vehicle is moving.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I put a barrel switch in the inertia loop so it won't start. Best way to keep a tow truck away is park it in a very difficult place to access. I haven't looked into alarm systems in a while but I would think there is one out there that is similar to on-star.

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
if you have an after market ignition, run a switch to under the dash or something similar. i believe msd has a white wire that if it is grounded it will not start.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I should have access to a non-wired GPS tracker with 2 year battery life and no monthly fee for around $200. It is about the size of a deck of cards, and can be located anywhere except the engine bay. Sometime around December is the target launch, I'll post up in the sale forum once we get them. I believe it does geofencing and tow alerts.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I a.have a brakelock on the 72. It's a shame they don't sell em anymore. With a cylinder key on the dash it locks all 4 tires. Kind of a pita to plumb the lines but works great. If I leave the key in it works as a line lock off road.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I should have access to a non-wired GPS tracker with 2 year battery life and no monthly fee for around $200. It is about the size of a deck of cards, and can be located anywhere except the engine bay. Sometime around December is the target launch, I'll post up in the sale forum once we get them. I believe it does geofencing and tow alerts.

This would be perfect. I would put this on my trailer, Polaris Ranger (if/when I get another) and the bronco. Might even add the truck in there, but it is much more easily replaced frankly. Please keep us updated.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Broncos are too easy to hot wire so ignition kill stuff isn't going to work without locking the hood.

OP
OP
C

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Broncos are too easy to hot wire so ignition kill stuff isn't going to work without locking the hood.

True. I have the BC Broncos remote hood release, but that does not stop someone from breaking into the interior and releasing the hood.

I am going to check out the Viper alarms with GPS, kill switch, etc.

B Rousseau

Loc.
Southaven
Killswitch

I have a hidden switch behind the grill, that kills the power to my fitech. Cranks all day long but no fuel. This was something easy for short term. Will do something else like a tracker in the future.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
With fuel injection you get so many more effective sources for a kill switch.