• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Antifreeze leaking between enginen and transmission

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Any ideas
New ( not rebuilt) ford 94 f250 warranty replacement engine. Never been ran til this past saturday. Put a 4 barrel intake on it. Nothing leaking externally that i can see

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only three places I can think of are the intake manifold, the cylinder head, or one of the rear gallery plugs.
The first two would (you'd think anyway) leave a visible trace. The third would be inside the bell housing, so not visible until it leaks out the bottom.

A leaking head plug though (coolant jacket freeze plug type thingy) would be hard to see there up next to the firewall, so maybe you'd get lucky and have it be one of the more easily dealt with items.

Since the viewing angles are pretty tight back there, you might double check to make sure it's not the new intake and you just missed seeing the leak.

Where exactly is it coming out though? Drain hole in the bell housing, or possibly along the outside?

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I bet it is the intake that you replaced. You just can't see the coolant weeping out the gasket down the bellhousing because it is so tight in there. Just like a lot of rear main seals get replaced because oil is dripping from the bellhousing, not realizing the leak is really the intake gasket on the china rail is leaking and passing through the bellhousing.

Have a cooling system pressure tester? Put 15~20 PSI on a cold engine and root around a bit. Much easier to look around on a cool non-running engine.

texbronc

Loc.
Austin, TX
FWIW, I had a similar scare recently. Mine was a loose bolt on bottom of water pump. Coolant was dripping and running along top of oil pan to rear and slow drip off of bell housing. All I needed was to tighten the bolt. I hope yours is a simple fix also.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I had a leak that looked like it was between the motor and Trans ..,,, turned out it was the freeze plug above the starter

OP
OP
Crush

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
All visible freeze plugs are good. Im going to check the oil pan idea that texbronc suggested today. I have taken a paper towel and ran it all along the intake at the back of the block and it didnt even get damp. If the oil pan thing isnt the problem then i guess one of the freeze plugs on the back of the engine is leaking. Boy i hope not!!