• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any Advise on Taking Dash off??

chefddh

Loc.
Roseville , CA
I need to take my dash off to replace my fuel tank switch and check other wires. Any advise and steps to actually get it off. Thanks.
-ddh

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
Well. I suck at directions but.....
Take your dash pad off. There should be phillips screws on the top and bottem. Mine were all easy to remove. Then its pretty much just the screws on the dash. Mine was really easy to take off, but the fact that my Bronco doesn't have a windshield might have made it easier.

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
I'm about a day or two out from taking my dash off as well. Need to repair and replace gauge cluster parts. Sounds like the process is pretty simple. Maybe a good time to paint the dash chefddh.

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
I forgot to mention if you want to get it completely off...... you need to take your wheel off. At least I think so anyway. Mine is "off" but not totally. If you want it completely off you'll also have to disconnect the air ducts.

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
supermottl said:
flip the windshield foward.. it will make the job real easy. Take steering wheel off. You DON'T need a puller. I took my rollbar out - that sucked

Theres the part i don't want to do. Maybe I'll just take a sawzall to the bottom portion of the dash instead?

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
Okay, no sawzall to that part-looks like some major wires going underneath the steering column.

Got a question- the hidge that causes us to bend the windshield frame down, is that piece attached to the window frame as one whole piece? I would like to replace it but i'm not seeing any screws or anything where it attaches to the dash or the windshield frame.

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
The hinge is welded on. From what i've seen you need to be a master at body work to replace it also. It's not too bad, just be really careful putting the 2 bolts back in on either side of the dash. Don't tighten or you can spin that nut loose making getting the windshield tight nearly impossible..

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
sfaforester said:
Okay, no sawzall to that part-looks like some major wires going underneath the steering column.

Got a question- the hidge that causes us to bend the windshield frame down, is that piece attached to the window frame as one whole piece? I would like to replace it but i'm not seeing any screws or anything where it attaches to the dash or the windshield frame.

It depends on the year of the Bronco. From what I hear some of the earlier models had hinges that were held on by screws.

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
unclebap said:
Nice artical, dang! think when the back gets better Ill do the upside down thing, that way I got less of a chance of screwing up something.
Pat

Thanks, damn thing is still sitting in the basement. Haven't had a chance to get back to work on the '72 since about the time of that article. Gotta finish the other projects and get back on track with it.