• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any C6 broncos on the Forum?

Joe'Bronco

Loc.
Dublin, CA
Just wanted to see who's running a C6 and what they like/dislike.
RPM's on the freeway, gear's/tire combo that sort of stuff...

Im having trouble getting the front drive shaft to work...

bax

Contributor
Old Member
i run one. I like it. I have zero problems with it. I run a 205 not a 20. The 20 makes the front shaft a job to get correct. The long shaft c6 lets you run a C/V joint up front and still clear the pan.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
i run one. I like it. I have zero problems with it. I run a 205 not a 20. The 20 makes the front shaft a job to get correct. The long shaft c6 lets you run a C/V joint up front and still clear the pan.

What he said and by you comment about not being able to get the front shaft to work I am going to assume you are trying to run it with the 20. My truck had a C6/D20 in it when I got it, it was the only kind of hacky work on the whole truck. I never got the D20 and shaft to work right and I ended up burning up the tranny, when it burnt up I went back to the C4, I just did not want to mess with the whole thing for a non-OD transmission, I figure when I do the diesel swap I will do the work to get a 700r4 behind it.

If you are going to go with a C6 go with a 205 or an Atlas.

OP
OP
J

Joe'Bronco

Loc.
Dublin, CA
Ill have to look into the CV joint with a smaller diameter shaft. Just bought the truck and there is already a c6 in it. I would gladly trade it for an AOD, but I don't think anyone would take me up on that offer.

What about using it on the freeway? RPS?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Hi gear is 1 to 1 on all but the OD trans. The good side of the C-6 is it is a strong trans, and simple, we run it in our racer for those reasons. The down side is it consumes a lot more HP than others and it is not OD. For OD I like the 4R70W.
PS we cut the drivers side of the pan off to clear the driveshaft.

OP
OP
J

Joe'Bronco

Loc.
Dublin, CA
For me, the truck will be a weekend warrior type of rig. Long drives to hunting locations all over CA. I don't mind going the speed limit (65-mph) but I don't want the engine screaming at me for the 3 hour drive.

MPG is not a HUGE issue, but im hoping to get around 13 (Wishful thinking?)

Cutting the pan is no problem. I have a plasma and a mig/flux welder at my disposal. If that's all it takes, im game.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What are the gear ratios and tire sizes involved? Might be able to strike a compromise between running the higher rpm and trailing in 4-low.
And if you can run the 20 after all is said and done, the low is just a bit lower than the 205 anyway.

I used to run mine at 2700-3000 all day long down the freeways around the state with no ill effects. Except on MPG that is. But I used to get 15.5 at 55, so the 70's still had me in the 12-13 range with a manual trans, 32" tires and 4.11 gears.
Maybe you can still get where you want to be too, even if the auto will keep the freeway rpm up a couple of hundred, and use a bit more of the power to get it done.

But here again, gearing and tire size are a key component, no matter what.

Good luck.

Paul

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I'm running a C6. I've always had a doubler behind mine... 203, then a 208, now a 1356 StrongBox. Running a stout 351w, 4.10's and 40's. I did it because of the strength... And I had it already, hence the name "SpareParts"!