• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any guess on why mine sputtered today?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got in the all stock '77 auto, 302 w/67,000 original mi,on it today and drove about 20 mi. It was going great when all of the sudden it started sputtering. It would almost cut off as I was slowing down in the e-lane. I got down to 15-20 mph and it kept bucking a little tthen backfired twice and then it finally quit. I tuened the key and she fired right back up and I drove her another 30 miles home without a hint of any more problems. Any ideas? Seems fine now.Never had any problems at all with it .

Thanks Much,

Blue71

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
Spark plug wires?

One of my spark plug wires disconnected from the plug making it do something similar to what you described. Course it would continue to do it until you fixed it, but ya never know...

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
sounds like an autolite 2100. Mine used to get flakes of guck in the main jets. I think it happened 2 or 3 times. After it would happen like yoiu describe I would find flakes in the bowl.

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
My 77' did that except after the starting back up for a bit it died cmpletely. My problem was a failed fuel pump and a layer of sludge in the bottom of the aux tank. Cleaned it all out, and replaced everything from the carb back to the tank and fired it up this afternoon.