• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any ideas?

STICK76

Loc.
Fitzgerald, GA
I got in the Bronco yesterday to crank it for the first time in a couple of weeks. I was planning to clean it up and take it out for a ride since the last couple of weeks have been pretty busy and I just haven't had time to take her out. She wouldn't crank! I figured that I had just flooded the engine so I pushed it out of the garage and gave her a much needed bath. When I was finished, I tried to start her again. Still no luck. By this time the battery was getting kind of weak, so I decided to put some gas in the carb and give it a try. Got her to fire right up. I told my wife that I was going to drive it around for a little bit to charge the battery back up. I drove across town and stopped at my buddy's shop. I let the Bronco run while I was there and she was purring just fine. I hung around for a few more minutes and headed home. On the way it shut down again. I called my buddy and he brought some gas and some jumper cables. We put some gas in the tank as well as in the carb and she fired up again but only ran for like 2 minutes. I had to have her towed to the shop (by a jeep for those who want to show me some pity). What is causing this? Is it the fuel pump? I don't think it is the filter because I just put on a new tank last month, but something is definitly not right. This is the first time that my '76 has let me down. Sad day!!! Any ideas?

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I would start by following that fuel line from the carb all the way back to the tank and replace all fuel filters. I found two filters in line and in addition to the one that screws into the front of the carb when I first got mine. For an extra taste treat blow through the filters from the carb end onto a piece of paper and then look at what came out of them.

jhunte17

Loc.
Franklin, TN
Sounds like a pump. Are you running electric pump or the one of the front cover? Either way, it sounds like fuel.

Lttrbox

Loc.
IF
Have you done much running after that new tank install? Maybe vacuum in the tank?

maverickconner

Its that time of the year again,,, hot, cold, hot, cold.....Try adding some fuel additive to the gas, some times the condensation builds up do to the temp change. The gas and condisation seperate, making the bronco run, but stall out on occation, not wanting to start. This is just were I would start. It happens quit often here in OK, where it goes from 24 degrees to 80+ in a day...

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
I had the exact same problem. It was water in the fuel lines. a LOT of water in the fuel lines.

Mine sat for about 4 months without really driving it, and the water condensed in every place imaginable. I would pull all the fuel filters and change them. Splash some of the liquid inside of them on your hand. Make sure that it is not water. (gas smell, cold feel, etc.)

It took about 10 mins of romping on the engine to clean out all the water after I had replaced all the fuel filters and what-not. It was a pain in the ass. That would probably be another good place to start.

I have the benefit of being able to watch my injectors and make sure they are actually spraying fuel. If you can get someone that can see if the carb is using fuel, do that also.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
STICK76 said:
not that I know of. We ordered a new fuel pump today. Should be here tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas guys!!!

Stick

You had to order a fuel pump. What Mickey Mouse store was that?