• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any strong CB radio recommendations?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I just installed a Cobra 75WXST, it's all in the handset. It seems to work good. The best part is if I remove the handset there's no clutter under the dash.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
I just bought a Cobra 18 WX ST II for my super duty... haven't installed it though, so I don't have any opinions on it yet except that it looks cool :cool:

I chose it because it was fairly inexpensive and had the weather channels.

http://www.cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=313&category_ID=30

Also bought a firestik antenna & mount kit that haven't got here yet, so we'll see how that goes, hopefully this weekend.

paleo man

why dont you get your ham/amateur radio license.....technican class....you can go on line to AARL....free study guide....a lot of pepole i offroad with are going this way.....it will give you acess to the repeater network....Paleo
KE5SSU
444.700+88.5
Osage County Okla.....somewhere on the Arkansas River.....Bill/Paleo Man

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I just installed a Cobra 75WXST, it's all in the handset. It seems to work good. The best part is if I remove the handset there's no clutter under the dash.

X2. You can also buy individual mounting boxes and move the handset from say your trail rig to your tow rig. Also I really like having the speaker in the handset. When there is lots of road or trail noise you can hold it up to your ear.

rmfreeze

Loc.
Benton, Arkansas
X2. You can also buy individual mounting boxes and move the handset from say your trail rig to your tow rig. Also I really like having the speaker in the handset. When there is lots of road or trail noise you can hold it up to your ear.

X3. If you want a longer reach something else might be better but I'm no expert. I only use mine on the trail and it works fine for that limited area. Being able to hold the speaker close to my ear to hear in a noisy environment is nice.

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Excellent.
Bought one on Evilbay for about a Ben Franklin. I'll get 3 boxes so I can plug it into either Bronco or the tow rig. I like the mobility feature also.
Thanks!

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I just bought a Cobra 18 WX ST II for my super duty... haven't installed it though, so I don't have any opinions on it yet except that it looks cool :cool:

I chose it because it was fairly inexpensive and had the weather channels.

http://www.cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=313&category_ID=30

Also bought a firestik antenna & mount kit that haven't got here yet, so we'll see how that goes, hopefully this weekend.

I have one of these in 2 of my Broncos and they work fine.. I too got mine because of price and I like the weather channels. CBs are great but they only work if everyone in your group has one.. hint hint stout22.. :)

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
being a ham operator is also great , but in todays groups , you will prolly be the only one , who is ........

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
resurection. I'm going CB + Ham. both for the extended range when riding trails in a group and for the emergency communications aspect, Always like helping the community when I can. And APRS looks REALLY cool.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
www.cbradiotalk.com

I have a Connex General Lee 10 meter.. really only use CB channels, stays on 19 most of the time.. this is in my F450 tow rig for trips.. has a DaveMade toe warmer for long distance contacts :)
http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/ohv/album359

Running a Cobra 25 LTD Classic with Weather in the Bronco.. had it turned up a little to reach over the hills when hunting in the big timber in Louisiana :)

Running a Galaxy 959 with SSB in my daily driver.. :)

NYLES

Bronco Guru
CB'ed since I was old enough to talk but why not buy a couple pairs of Talkabouts then if and WHeN a buddy doesnt have a radio in his rig just hand one over....

other than that Connex, Ranger, Galaxy Cobra(Old ones before that nightalk junk) Uniden....Just dont buy a wally world wonder! with a few more $'s you can get a pretty good rig...that will TALK! and remeber a good anttena is the RULE! Wilson 5000

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
... and remeber a good anttena is the RULE! Wilson 5000
That's a good point. Antenna choice is almost as important. That Wilson 5000 is a magnet mount antenna (again good for portability), is it as good as a permanent mount whip antenna?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd second that.
I like permanent mounts typically, but got a Wilson magnetic (1000 I think?) when I was running it from truck to truck. It's a GREAT antenna in any book.
Worked equally as well with my SSB Sidebander IV as it did with my little hand-held Radio Shack rechargeable.
I always end up being the one to relay between the others since I can reach the longest distance.

Of course, a good "tune" is important too. If any of you out there have SWR meters, I highly recommend using them. Good excuse for an ATP (antenna tuning party) on a nice weekend!

Paul