• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody ever Line X their cage? Pics?

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
Hey all, looking at painting my new 6pt. cage black or possibly having it shot with LINE X or Rhino liner. Not sure the difference in price. but I've heard it may be less and more durable to go LINE X or Rhino rather than paint it? Any thoughts? Pics? Thanks.

John

Last edited:

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
It would depend on what kind of finish your looking for. The Line-X would be damn tough but it would be a rough finish. I plan on powdercoating mine, it's tougher than paint and still a smooth finish.

Jim W.

OP
OP

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
Good info, thanks Jim. Have not priced out powder coating it. Any idea approx how much I can expect to pay? Looking for something durable, not too costly and not too fancy.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I plan on coating mine with raptor-x. Probably do a tintable kit. I think either some single stage paint or the raptor-x will be my choice. Cheep and DIY!

I would expect the local bedliner place to shoot me a quote of around $500 to have a family cage coated, if theyd even wana do it! I could shoot SS or raptor for around $150 myself.

For powdercoat id expect to pay well over the $500. And im pretty sure you wont find a shop around here that will do one off pieces!

How durable do you need it?? Are you set up to paint? Are you familiar with raptor-x? Cage gona be in or out??

Im sure a paint shop will be around that $500 mark also but sometimes paint is the best choice for alot of reasons. A good paint will hold up as well as a coating and will clean up much better and easyer.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For powdercoat id expect to pay well over the $500. And im pretty sure you wont find a shop around here that will do one off pieces!

The powdercoating shop that I use could do the entire truck if I wanted them too (really BIG oven) and charged my about $150-$200 the last time to powdercoat something the size of a roll cage. And one-off stuff is probably half of what they do...

Worth looking around to see what is in your area.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I did herculiner on a roll bar once to see how it looked. I wouldnt do it again. It was rough.

Simple rustoleum hammered paint in a can brushed on with a foam brush gets my vote. Cheap, easy, looks great, easy to touch up and you can apply it with the cage in the truck!

OP
OP

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
All good ideas, keep em coming, any pics?

I did herculiner on a roll bar once to see how it looked. I wouldnt do it again. It was rough.

Simple rustoleum hammered paint in a can brushed on with a foam brush gets my vote. Cheap, easy, looks great, easy to touch up and you can apply it with the cage in the truck!

painterlu32

i had my bar and all the inside done in raptor it has a textured finish but it is not rough to the touch. it is really resistant to anything as well as uv rays. it is a urethane product and very tough.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Pretty sure when I took my cage in for powder, it plus a lot of other parts was around $600. A local Bronco friend of mine found a shop thats hurting for work and they did his full family cage for around $200 and it looks every bit as good as mine that I paid more for. A lot of powder coat shops operate in feast or famine mode, and often times prices are somewhat negotiable, especially when doing multiple parts.

I'd powdercoat my cage again in a heartbeat even at the price I paid. Smooth, tough finish that I didn't have to work on!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I didn't have to work on!

Then you took all the fun out of it for me! Id rather pay more and do it myself than have anybody screw up my bronco. Im the only person (or my dad) thats ever touched a bolt on my bronco. Its not what you buy...its what you build.

Hemicj8

I couldn't see a line-x dealer charging you more than $350.00. If you can have them do a very light texture and then you paint within 24hrs you will have one heck of a cage. When I say paint three or four cans of high gloss rustoleum. Paint it on dry like 14 to 16 inches away. It will look awesome and it won't hold as much dirt and will help smooth it out to the touch. Good luck

75brnco

Upper half is paint, lower half is linner cost me $200 for a shop to spray the lower half.

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
Agreed! Well said.

Then you took all the fun out of it for me! Id rather pay more and do it myself than have anybody screw up my bronco. Im the only person (or my dad) thats ever touched a bolt on my bronco. Its not what you buy...its what you build.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey

You'd have to pay an awful lot to powdercoat it yourself, I don't think them ovens are that cheap%)

I had one of the local powdercoaters do a modified chassis for me and it was 650, there's about 1/4th or less of the tube on a cage and I was quoted 200 for mine, but then I do a lot of business with them.

Jim W.

Squid

Loc.
San Diego
I think that mine was $300 for the crinkle finish with clear coat. I have seen both painted and lined and don't think I made the wrong decision.

Jim

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
If you've ever sprayed bed liner you'd understand why it's not overly practical to line a cage. The stuff sprays out like snot at 90 PSI! The overspray and mess would be astronomical. I'd guess you'd spray at least 2 gallons to do a cage and only 20-30% would end up on the cage.... Using U-pol Raptor liner and doing it yourself you'd be in close to or over $300, and a powder coater could probably do it for about that much or a few dollars more.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
If you've ever sprayed bed liner you'd understand why it's not overly practical to line a cage. The stuff sprays out like snot at 90 PSI! The overspray and mess would be astronomical. I'd guess you'd spray at least 2 gallons to do a cage and only 20-30% would end up on the cage.... Using U-pol Raptor liner and doing it yourself you'd be in close to or over $300, and a powder coater could probably do it for about that much or a few dollars more.

I totally disagree. Obvisously you never shot raptor-x because i thought it shot with less over spray than paint and is verry easy to control. And you only shoot it about 50psi not 90! One gallon would be more than enough for any cage and that would run you about $130. There is no way you will find a shop to coat it for that or even twice that! Before you speek about raptor-x make sure you know what your talking about. Raptor doesnt shoot in a fan spray but rather a circle. You should easly be able to cover a family cage with two coats with less than 4 quarts or raptor. Best part is most people will think you paid the big bucks to have it painted! Again i suggest looking into a single stage urethane instead of any other coating.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Why would you want bed liner on a cage to begin with??:?

I'm not really even a fan of powder coat on cages, but I'd take that over liner.

I like to be able to weld on new tabs, mounts, or touch up tree/rock scrapes along the top side tubes and corners where they rub when wheeling.

PC does not lend itself to that as well as paint, and liner sure does not.

The one shows with liner from the bed rail down might not be bad if that is the look you want, and still can be touched up on top.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Gonna Rhino my entire interior as well as the cage. Unfortunately Rhino closed their doors locally here a few years back with the cheaper x-liner taking over. I will have to trailer the EB and parts to Modesto, CA to have it done. I have had x and herc and they are rough on your knees when working on the floors, especially the Herc and worn holes in jeans. I plan to do the entire floor, all the crannies, the cage and the inside of top. I like the flexible nature of the Rhino, as there is give to it and I will spend more but I want it to be squishy! That's right. I had thought of foam covering first(cage kinda like the Green BFG poster Bronco then have it shot, but I would probably not get the results as nice as I would like unfortunately. Not going to scrape rocks on it, but might knock the nogging on the cage once in a while and last time I hit it didn't feel good with paint. I have had custom covers made when I had the Stroppe bar in and whacked myself good even wrapped in foam and covered. Figure I could hose it off after Pismo too.