• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody ever restore/paint bronco sport emblems?

Razorbackbronco

So I have some really nice original bronco sport emblems that have some fading of the red paint.

I’m debating on what I’m going to do to them. I might try to keep them red or I might switch the red to black. I’ve been trying to come up with ways of doing this and thought I might ask you guys what you’ve done that’s worked. How to bring back the red, and also how one might go about painting around the details of the bronco and sport lettering.

Let’s hear what ya got!

6a95d31d566c0c59834ac0be257bf48c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suckerpunched

I did mine a month or so ago, They turned out OK, but I wouldn't post a picture of them from that close. I did them by hand with an assortment of tiny brushes from hobby lobby. I used ford blue urethane that I had around, but One Shot sign paint probably would have flowed out better. To make it more difficult, all my emblems and trim are blacked out, so I sprayed the whole think black and then painted the background. had I left them chrome, I think I would try to tape them off and spray them. you could always scrape a little paint off the chrome if it gets in the wrong place

bwyman

I restored mine. I polished the non painted areas first then purchased red pin stripping paint and painted the red in. They look like new now.

Attac

Contributor
Get some testors paint in the color you want and go buy a pack of insulin syringes. You can suck the paint up in the hypodermic needle and then "inject it in all the little nooks and let it self level. This is how I color fill engravings in AR15 lowers. I am not artistic at all and I can do this so I know anybody can
Chuck

OP
OP
Razorbackbronco

Razorbackbronco

Awesome! That’s a cool idea using the insulin needles! I’m gonna give it a try

willtel

I repainted mine a few years ago. I removed the horse by drilling out the rivets and painted them with model spray paint. Once it cured I used a Q-Tip with some thinner on it to wipe paint away from the raised areas. I would use something other than Testors paint as mine have faded and the finish has cracked over the years so it doesn't seem to be too UV stable.

Also does anyone have one of those horses from an old badge laying around? I think it would make a great keychain.

IMG_2311 by willtel, on Flickr

Repainting Emblems by willtel, on Flickr

IMG_2819 by willtel, on Flickr

Bronco Sport Emblem by willtel, on Flickr

TAC71

I redid mine with nail polish, you can get virtually any color and comes with a brush. For the real tight spots a needle works good. I also used nail polish to restore my gauges.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I repainted mine a few years ago. I removed the horse by drilling out the rivets and painted them with model spray paint. Once it cured I used a Q-Tip with some thinner on it to wipe paint away from the raised areas. I would use something other than Testors paint as mine have faded and the finish has cracked over the years so it doesn't seem to be too UV stable.

Those look pretty snazzy.. :)

OP
OP
Razorbackbronco

Razorbackbronco

I really liked the needle idea so that’s what I did and it worked awesomely! Did a base coat of tuxedo black metallic and then filled in with a 2 part clear coat. I heated the paint and clear a little to make it flow and level quicker.
fcc351e159d74805955a28511d8d34b7.jpg