• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody replaced rear quarter panels?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Both mine have to be replaced because of RUST of course.
I don't think I've ever seen a writeup on this.
You weld them on, every two inches like the floor panels?
It'll be very tricky and very tight reaching up there and not being able to see very well to begin with and doing it with a welding helmet.
Is it easier than I am imagining? Or an absolute pain?
Ideally, I'd like to see photos. Surely, I am not a pioneer in doing this.

4x4Alaska

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
That's going to be my winter project too...strikers, upper/lower quarters and corners...on both sides! I don't even know where to start....just cut a side off and go for it or is there a piece by piece way?....somebody can help us I'm sure...

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I've done it. It is a party, let me tell you. It took me about 13 hours total to do both sides. That was a LOOOOOONG day! Anyway, it is pretty straight forward but you will need some tools to do it correctly. Cutting out the old stuff is fairly easy. Basically you are going to take the old panel out in the opposite direction that FORD put it in there. Once you get the old quarter out, you will need to clean up the metal where you will be welding the new quarter too. I would recommend that you cleko or sheet metal screw it all together before actually welding it. Make sure you door lines up with the quarter. I screwed this up the first time on the right side and had to go back and fix it later. Don't know any other tips. I did this long before I had much body work experience but I figured it out. I could do a much nicer job today as I have more jobs under my belt. PM if you have any specific questions.

canadabronco

Loc.
Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
I did it to and it was more work then I thought. Welding that area behind the panels is very awkward. make sure that you have the lower panel recessed about a 1/2" inside the upper panel. I made the mistake of not worrying about this and the curve along the seam just doesn't have the right look. So be careful. I also had a problem with tub sag and everything not lining up. I am still dealing with this issue.

All that I can say is take your time and do not be afraid to trim the panels that you recieve. The never come perfect.

U

Unregistered

quarters

someone is selling a back clip on the parts for sale section. would be a lot easier!

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
I just wanted to post so I can keep track of this thread. This is the next project on my list for me.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
A little trick for seeing in tight places with a welding helmet is to remove the lens from it and hold it with one hand. I don't suggest this for an extensive amount of welding but I've done it a couple of times for things like an exhaust that was hard to see behind a transfer case.