• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody replaced vacuum wipers with electric?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How much is involved in putting stock electric wiper set-up on a '68 with vacuum? Will the holes line up for the wiper arms, or are they different widths apart from vacuum to electric. Any body got any info on this swap?

Thanks Much,

Blue71

HILLBILLYNA68

Loc.
GRAY, TN.
Hey Blue! The holes are not in the same location. You'll have to do some drilling and plugging. I have decided to go with one marine motor on the drivers side for now. Hollaratme...

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
I never liked the big ass stock electric wiper setup , so when my Vacuum ones went T,,, U, I replaced mine with 2 Marine 2 speed, I have been a Diesel jockey too long to need synronised wipers. Mine are 12 years old

67ster

Bronco Guru
Mine has the marine motors as well . I don't really care for the things sticking out from the WS frame 'cause you could really do some damage to your melon in a frontal impact . There are some that are a lower profile with the motors turned 90 deg .

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I used twin elec. motors they were about 15.00 ea. back in 74. They still work good and have not been a problem. Also I dont do much driveing in the rain as no top or doors. And wouldnt have it any other way. good luck and have fun. :p :p :p Bill %) :p :cool:

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
To use the stock elect. wipers on the vac. wiper frame you will need to either drill new holes or add a small extension to the drivers side arm. I like the extension

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got two more questions.

1) Where do you get the marine motors from and anybody got a pic of thiers?

2) What is the measurement from Center-to Center on the vacumm wiper holes in the windshield? If I go with extending the rod/ linkage. Do I just need to cut the linkage and weld in a piece/ pieces to lenghten it to the drivers side. Anbody got a pic of this done?

Thanks all for the suggestions.

HILLBILLY..I'll give you a call.

Thanks Again,

Blue71

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
there is a thread I started on here somewhere of when I put a 73 wiper setup in my 68. There is also a diagram of the frame measurements when the wiper arms attach. mine went on great. I extended the linkage instead of redrilling the window frame.

toque

Loc.
Surrey, BC
I did the switch from vacuum to electric wipers in my 66 Bronco. Fortunately I had a 75 parts bronco to steal parts from. I cut a large section from the inside of the w/s frame at the top which had all the mounting holes and openings for the wiper arms, motor and cover. I then cut the same section out of the 66 frame and welded the "electric" section in. Then I drilled the wiper arm holes in the outer surface of the frame using the inside holes for the location. Finally I pluged the existing vacuum wiper arm holes in the outside surface of the w/s frame. The pictures don't show all the steps, but hopefully they give you a bit of an idea of what I did.
Pic 1: 75 w/s frame before cutting
Pic 2: 75 frame with section cut out
Pic 3: section cut after sandblasting
Pic 4: 66 w/s frame before cutting
Pic 5: 66 frame with 75 section welded in and wiper linkage installed
Pic 6: another view of finished product
Pic 7: view of 66 frame front side with proper holes cut and exisiting ones plugged.

Attachments

• 116-1696_IMG.JPG
    116-1696_IMG.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 117-1713_IMG.JPG
    117-1713_IMG.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 117-1719_IMG.JPG
    117-1719_IMG.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 117-1723_IMG.JPG
    117-1723_IMG.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 117-1739_IMG.JPG
    117-1739_IMG.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 41
  • 117-1741_IMG.JPG
    117-1741_IMG.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 47
  • 117-1730_IMG.JPG
    117-1730_IMG.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 36

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
while we are on the subject. Since I have installed the elec setup I have noticed that there isn't much differance between the low and high speeds. Anyone else have this problem? the motor is a 73 and the switch is a 91.