• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody used Ospho than Rusty metal primer

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
I want to expand on this a little bit for ya. I've seen many YouTube videos where people put seam sealer directly on the bare metal after prepping it. Seam sealer can be used in this manner but IMHO I would use a rust encapsulater, primer, or something else of that nature first. I've seen many examples of rust starting under seam sealer applied to bare metal. I work in the paint department of a Ford plant and the seam sealer is put on after the unit has been e-coated. The only thing that is applied directly to bare metal is body Mastic. That is basically a body adhesive designed to structurally strengthening and bond body panels. An example would be to bond a door skin to a door frame. I know that wasn't your exact question but it's the next step in the process. Hopefully it helps.

OP
OP
G

Gatordog

Loc.
Rio Hondo, Texas
Where do you buy body Mastic? I was wondering about replacing floor panels and use Mastic instead of welding, but heard that you have to weld because Mastic will fail over time. Would seem better to chemically bond, that why the panel is sealed as well.

FYI, I buy Ospho from Johnny’s True Value.

Casey835

If you’re gonna use ospho skip the por and save your money. Personally I would use the ospho and will never use por again. I can’t say enough good things about the ospho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
Where do you buy body Mastic? I was wondering about replacing floor panels and use Mastic instead of welding, but heard that you have to weld because Mastic will fail over time. Would seem better to chemically bond, that why the panel is sealed as well.

That's a good question. On the consumer side, you would look for a bonding adhesive. Most body shop supply store should carry it. There are different types for different applications. This is what I found on it.

Acrylics – Lord Corporation’s Fusor Metal Bonding Adhesive
is a two-part acrylic. This type of adhesive has a working time
of about 45 minutes and sets up in one-and-a-half to two hours.
At that point, the adhesive is hard enough so the clamps can be
removed and the technician can continue finishing. Full cure is
in eight hours. Heat is not recommended with this type of adhesive
to speed curing.

Epoxies – Dominion Sure Seal’s Epoxy Door Skin Adhesive,
Kent’s Uniweld Door Skin Adhesive, SEM Product’s Nonsag Door Skin
Adhesive and 3M’s Panel Bonding Adhesive are all two-part epoxies.
Working times and curing times vary with the product. Kent and
SEM have working times of about 30 minutes, with set up in one
hour and full cure in 24 hours at 70 degrees F. 3M also has a
working time of about 30 minutes but recommends that clamps be
left in place for four hours before proceeding with work. Full
cure is also in 24 hours. Dominion’s working time is about two
hours, with a six-hour setup time and 24 hours for full cure.
The curing time with all these products can be greatly decreased
by applying heat. Heat lamps at 120 to 140 degrees can reduce
curing time to about an hour.

Urethanes – Polymer Engineering Corporation’s Duramix
Medium Metal Panel Door Skin Adhesive is a two-part urethane.
Duramix has a working time of 45 minutes, with a six-hour setup
time and 24 hours for full cure. Heat can also be used with this
product to reduce cure times. For every 20-degree increase in
temperature over 75 degrees F, the cure time will be cut in half.