• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone do a 1/2" Body Lift?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I love the way my Bronco sits, I just need a tad to clear some stuff and keep bumper nicely aligned etc.

I figured a 1" BL cut and trim the mounts down or stock mounts with shims.....

I need to change my body mounts anyways, some are crushed.

Thanks,

TN1776

Bronco Guru
The aftermarket mounts available with an integrated 1" body lift may be a good option for you.
A friend of mine who owns an FJ40 wanted to lift his body 1/2" and he did it by cutting blocks out of some 1/2" aluminum stock and drilling holes. Simple and effective, barely know its there.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I sell some new rubber body mounts that give half to three quarters of a inch of lift over the stock ones. Pm me and I will tell you more about them frenchy

mattt

Bronco Guru
I sell some new rubber body mounts that give half to three quarters of a inch of lift over the stock ones. Pm me and I will tell you more about them frenchy

I wish these would've been available 3-4 years ago when I replaced my factory original rubber body mount bushings with a new set of rubber body mount bushings. I suppose I could still undo the bolts and slip these in since nothing is rusted in place yet, but the thought of going thru that "fun" again sounds about as appealing as taking the gas pipe.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Just changed mine last night - stock to a 1" integrated body lift. Old ones were so worn it brought me up 2". You may get away with just replacing with stock height poly bushings.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've been selling these 15+ years to guys all over the country. Some have bought from me 2 and 3 times.

frenchy

I wish these would've been available 3-4 years ago when I replaced my factory original rubber body mount bushings with a new set of rubber body mount bushings. I suppose I could still undo the bolts and slip these in since nothing is rusted in place yet, but the thought of going thru that "fun" again sounds about as appealing as taking the gas pipe.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just changed mine last night - stock to a 1" integrated body lift. Old ones were so worn it brought me up 2". You may get away with just replacing with stock height poly bushings.

Would like to hear from anyone who has replaced stock for stock bushing and what increase in BL did you get?

A few of mine are crushed and are roughly 5/8" thick.

Thanks,

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
ynagyvyg.jpg

Before squated old factory

y2apysuv.jpg

After stock replacement. I would say it brought it up atleast a half inch.

It may not look it from the pix but it did bring it up!

WASP1971

Loc.
Mary Esther, Florida
The aftermarket mounts available with an integrated 1" body lift may be a good option for you.
A friend of mine who owns an FJ40 wanted to lift his body 1/2" and he did it by cutting blocks out of some 1/2" aluminum stock and drilling holes. Simple and effective, barely know its there.

Where are these for sale? I've never seen them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I used a lathe to cut down a WH 1" lift kit to a 1/2" lift for a guy. It worked great and was barely more than stock. Actually it was a test run to see what I'd put on mine. I went with the whole 1". The benefits are huge.;)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I could not get a couple of mine out so I just ended up putting a one inch on top of my stocks. I thought it worked great . I can't imagine only needing 1/2 inch.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've measured the ones from my '68 and they are about 11/16" thick after 40 yrs. with a Bronco sitting on them. They seem to have been around 3/4" thick new. The ones frenchy sells, look about 1" thick with a larger diameter puck that won't deform as much under weight. His estimate of 1/2" lift seems pretty close. No maker of a truck with a frame stopped using rubber body mounts, so they must be a good idea. I don't see a good reason to give up the noise and vibration isolation they offer.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
If you need help talking the old ones out just hit them with the sawzaw! Had to cut the front 4 out, the rear four came out after a soak of PB Blaster.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the input and advice all. May replace the bushings next month.

Will stock up on sawsall blades and WD40 until then.

Peace.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
Wd40

Thanks for all the input and advice all. May replace the bushings next month.

Will stock up on sawsall blades and WD40 until then.

Peace.

Regular WD-40 is not the best for loosening old nuts. Try the WD-40 penetrant, PB Blaster or other rust penetrant. And wire brush it now and start soaking it once a week!

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Regular WD-40 is not the best for loosening old nuts. Try the WD-40 penetrant, PB Blaster or other rust penetrant. And wire brush it now and start soaking it once a week!

Will do. Thanks Bluebolt!

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
I just did body mounts and bought stock poly busings. It definitely adds about a 1/2inch to the old crushed rubber mounts.

Also, I found a great way to remove frozen bushings much easier than sawzall blades. Use a drill and a 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch paddle bit. It chewed right through the mount in seconds and freed the frozen bolts! I can't believe how fast and easy it was once I figured that out. No mess from burned rubba...