• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone done a 250ci 6 cylinder swap?

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
My 200ci in my 71 has a cracked block so I am looking at replacing the motor. I have a 250 from a 76 Maverick and want to know what to look out for when doing the swap. The 250 came out of a C-4 car but I want to use a manual tranny.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did one of those swaps a long time ago. It's not tricky but..you need to find a V-8 bellhousing and you need to be aware that the engine is taller than the 200 and leaves little/no room for an air cleaner unless you have a body lift or hood bubble. I used the classic Duff bubble on mine.

Great runner...I used it as a DD for many years, running on 35" ATs.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've always wanted to do that swap but I would run the C-4.
Maybe someday.......

frenchy

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought that would be a great combo as well, 250, c4, but found the length of the six, coupled with length of c4 means you would have to modify the D20 mounts further back, etc. Or so I heard.

bmbm

250 swap

Yep it works good. Search on here and you will see a few examples. Also go to fordsix.com for info on ford six mods and care. Good luck.

bmbm

Search a member on here
Jimmyv65
He is building a real nice 250 bronco

Crimson66

Loc.
Olive Branch, Ms.
250 swap

That was exactly the engine that was in my 66. Someone had swapped it. They kept the 3 speed trans, It did sit higher, so they cut the hood. Ran pretty good, had a bad vibration at high RPM'S. I checked everything I thought, ended up the motor mounts were broke.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
170 / 200 / 250 Inline sixes are the same length.

The 300 Inline six is the longer one with modifications to fit.

250 and 300 have the SBF Bell housing for C4 or whatever trans you want.

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I'm having trouble finding a flywheel for a 250. Any suggestions where to look?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'd think Dorman would make a flywheel. But keep looking. 250 is a great engine .. It'll be worth it after your done. Just enough bigger than the little 170 . Great Bronco Poison.

68broncoPaul

Loc.
Ravensdale WA
It is a very easy swap, just get the right bell housing(sbf), a flywheel from a ford mustang, and do a 10in clutch(easy light pedal!!!). Your only issue is the pan. I took the 170's and grafted it onto the 250 pan, took a little welding, but worked out perfect.

Deano

Bronco Guru
If I could find one I would put it in my 74 and put a 5speed behind it! I think that would make a good DD!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Deano I too think it's meant for the Bronco ..Great little motor. It's a shame that Ford DIDN'T have our Broncos in mind for the 300 .. My all time favorite motor But I subscribe to it just being too long.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your only issue is the pan. I took the 170's and grafted it onto the 250 pan, took a little welding, but worked out perfect.

Good catch. I always forget about that...because my truck had 5.5" lift and so the stock pass car 250 pan fit fine.

bmbm

250 bronco

I gave you some incorrect info. jimmyv65 is on fordsix.com and he just posted a new picture today of his build and it looks great. One of the nicest Broncos I have seen.
Also on classicinlines.com some info about going from 200 to a 250 with details on flywheels. A 300 flywheel will work. I went with the centerforce II clutch and very pleased with it.
Also jimmyv65 came up with what I think is the best oil pan mod for this swap.
Regarding the engine height I slotted my engine mounts slightly but also did a 1" body lift during the process and have no problems. I doubt that slotting the mounts was needed.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A 300 flywheel will work. I went with the centerforce II clutch and very pleased with it..

IIRC, that is what I used. I used a Hayes perf clutch..which reminds me; I had issues trying to get the throwout bearing length correct. One option is/was definitely too long...unfortunately its been too long for me to remember the details so hopefully someone who has dealt with that more recently would know.