• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone done an NP435 swap without a body lift?

G

I'm in the process of doing a 351W/NP435 swap. I know that doing the swap with a body lift is easier, but I want to know if anyone has done it without one. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

71HLFCAB

Loc.
Blairsville, Ga
I have done the NP435 swap with a 289 without a body lift. It worked great. It would probably help, but doesn't have to be done. Its a pretty easy swap, the biggest trouble is when you bend the shifter (not hard but will have to bend a couple of times). The best mod I have made so far. Good luck.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I helped a guy do a NP435 swap with no body lift about a month ago. It can be done, but a body lift would help. We had to cut quite a bit of the tunnel in order to make enough room to "stab" the NP435 into the motor.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Likewise. I did mine 6 years ago and ran it for 4 years before I did a body lift. If you swap the rubber t-case bushings (top to bottom and vice versa) you pick up a little floor clearance. That's what I did until the body lift went on.

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Like everyone is saying, it is easy. The only difficult thing is cutting the tunnel cover. I can email a pic of the cut tunnel if you need one.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I swaped in my 435 when I put the engine in. I started with a small hole for the shifter. Cut it bigger, and bigger, and bigger. I finished by removing most of the top of the tunnel cover. The I had to cut a little off the bottom of the front crossmember on the drivers side. Then it fit.

The shifter was done without bending. I cut it off just above the ball. Cut about 8" with the first bend in it out of the lever. Then welded the lever together at a 90° angle. It now cleared the stock T-case shifter. It also shortened the throws. The heater box clearenced itself the first time I stuck it in granny (that is where to cut the lever at).

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I did it without a lift but later added a 1" body lift for the shock hoops. It made more room.