• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone else ever had problems with assembly of a Trailworks roll cage??

earlybronco5

Loc.
Harvest, Alabama
Saw a really nice looking rollcage on here posted by a member from Trailworks Offroad. Purchased one UN-WELDED due to cost and travel requirements for one already welded together.
Has anyone else on here purchased one of their cages and had trouble with the assembly? :mad:

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Most shops will # the pieces and mark them to make it a no brainer set-up. You should call trailworks... Although, if you have a pic, you should be able to figure it out.

OP
OP
earlybronco5

earlybronco5

Loc.
Harvest, Alabama
Have called TWICE! NO markings. Was told to basically "cut and weld". Have several pics. It's all I have to go by. Feel like I bascially got bent tubing and now I am doing a puzzle. Just wondered if anyone else ever bought this same cage and if theirs was an easier fit. Was told "each cage fits differently..."?? :eek: The way he made it sound...it's now MY issue to get it to fit together right. $500 later......

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is the reason why so many people pay the $$$ to ship welded cages around the country. With the proper tools and experience, fitting and welding up a cage is a lot of work. I'm sure if you take your time and ask a few questions from others running the same or similar cages, you'll get it. Figure out your heights, trim your A/B/C pillars, tack in the stringers...measure, measure, measure...weld.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Yeah, this is where some pre-bent kits differ from others. Crab, COR and Protofab preassemble the cage in a jig. I know crab marks and numbers every tube as I have heard this reported several times.

I am guessing that none of your tubes were notched to get you started.... It sounds like your shop left some length on each tube for you to fit...problem is thats the most difficult and time consuming part of building a cage---FITTING. Assembling a properly fit cage should be a simple process. Without having a tubing notcher, a drill press, etc. fitting can be very tough. If you are adventurous, take a look in the tech section at Pirate4X4.com, there is a great tube tech article there and see if you can use some of those techniques to get it fitted. IF you havent started assembling yet--no wleding or cutting has been done-- I would send the cage back...there are great cages that are easier to assemble for only slightly more $. Good luck. Post some pics, if you can; maybe some fo the folks on here can help get you on track. Could be educational...of course at your expense. Again, good luck!

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I have the Trailworks cage. It did suck putting it together, we had 4 + people holding it together at times. I love the end result but it was not a cake walk. You have to grind the notches to get proper fitment and was not easy. I believe I also cut down the spreader bar between main front supports to fit between the doors and make the rest of the cage look straight down the sides.

The other thing I did was added around 2 inches to the front legs, 1 1/2" to the center and around 1" too the rear. This adds some much needed head clearance and it still fits in my hard top with no rubbing issues. I slugged the pipe and extended it that way.

Heres some of my pics

David

Attachments

• Buchannan's 09.15.07 014.jpg
    Buchannan's 09.15.07 014.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Roll Cage pics 9.11.07 032.jpg
    Roll Cage pics 9.11.07 032.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
OP
OP
earlybronco5

earlybronco5

Loc.
Harvest, Alabama
I have the Trailworks cage. It did suck putting it together, we had 4 + people holding it together at times. I love the end result but it was not a cake walk. You have to grind the notches to get proper fitment and was not easy. I believe I also cut down the spreader bar between main front supports to fit between the doors and make the rest of the cage look straight down the sides.

The other thing I did was added around 2 inches to the front legs, 1 1/2" to the center and around 1" too the rear. This adds some much needed head clearance and it still fits in my hard top with no rubbing issues. I slugged the pipe and extended it that way.

Heres some of my pics

David

Man, I SO needed to hear this! Thought I was goin' crazy. SO ready to start slingin' tubing!
Looks like I have a MAJOR task ahead of me. Yeah - the design is what sold me and the wife too. A shame it has to be such a bi--- to assemble. The guy might sell more if he created a simpliar why to assemble. Sure am reluctant to suggest it to anyone else.
Thanks again for your input.
Ric

1owner66

Loc.
Georgetown Texas
Who was it that tacked the cage together and then broke it before shipping. That would be the best way. Just line up the tacks and go to town.