• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone ever have a Carter P4070 stop working?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I installed a Carter P4070 electric fuel pump a couple of years ago. Never could get the Bronco to run right and took a break from it - turned into a two year break, but I decided to start working on it again this weekend.

Wiring to the pump is putting out 12 volts. Ground is good. Using the wiring to the Carter, I can get a spare generic pump to work fine.

Can't jump the Carter to pump with a spare battery. It's like the thing is dead. Two years old, less than a mile on it, a couple of hours of idle time while trying to troubleshoot engine problems. Barely used, but now won't do anything after sitting for a couple of years.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
After 3 decades and using them on many projects I have only had 2 issues ever. One was a leak at the electrical terminals (I think there was impact damage) but the pump still ran, just a drip.

The other was the boat that sat dry for 5 years. (fuel line disconnected dry) As soon as I powered it on it squealed bad. I turned it off put a little spray lube into the inlet. Powered it back up and it squealed for a second and has been happy since.

For you I would take the top cover off and check if 2 years of sitting caused fuel (residue) to varnish up. Break loose the pump, clean up the varnish, hope you didn't power it too long while locked, that can burn up a motor.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I burned one up once by trying to push fuel through a filter that was blocked solid. We finally located the blocked filter....which was hidden...by then that carter was junk......or maybe a yard sale item...LOL...

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Full of bad gas. Sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner in it and dumped it out. Did this several times until the brown gunk stopped coming out. Powers up perfectly now. Thanks Bronco gurus.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I had one that would not pump a good volume of fuel, I was able to siphon faster that it would pump, bronco was running Ok that way.

I installed a new one, have not tested the removed one since removal.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had one that would not pump a good volume of fuel, I was able to siphon faster that it would pump, bronco was running Ok that way.

I installed a new one, have not tested the removed one since removal.

There is an inlet screen in the pump. You may have clogged it.