• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone gone 2wd in their bronco...

shonivey

Was wondering if anyone has opted for 2wd. I know it sounds like sacrilege but bear with me. I have my 72 i drive to work , a 74 that will eventually be a dedicated trail rig , and my 69 is going to be the pretty one.
Just tossing the idea around of a 5.0 and OD tranny for a driver. As it is right now I don't forsee it being on dirt except for my driveway and dirtroad.

shon

ogr

Loc.
Vail
Bronco Driver Magazine has written about a guy in Phoenix that put a Ford Focus drivetrain under his for road only use. Front wheel drive and in the 20's for mpg.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Bronco Driver Magazine has written about a guy in Phoenix that put a Ford Focus drivetrain under his for road only use. Front wheel drive and in the 20's for mpg.

That's what came to my mind too...

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
There is a guy around town who went 2wd drive in both of his broncos. On his 76 he put a 347 stroker engine, c6 and a mustang 4 link suspension in the rear. Up front the axle is a 39 ford.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd be puttin that effort into a classic convertible Mustang.

Scott C.

Loc.
Waynetown IN
Parnelli Jones did it back '68. Remeber "BIG OLY"? It was only rear wheel drive. And, it won the Baja 1000!!!

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Parnelli Jones did it back '68. Remeber "BIG OLY"? It was only rear wheel drive. And, it won the Baja 1000!!!

here's a shot of the twin I-beam front suspension in action..............
scan0001-vi.jpg

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
One of my goal projects is to build a 2wd EB pickup.....not tubbed & slammed to the ground, but a bit of a street machine with all of the creature comforts. I say go for it: you've already got EB's for offroad use, so round out the stable with an EB street machine.

BroncoMark

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Irvine CA
Seems like it would be a lot of work to convert a Bronco to 2WD. I used to have a 69 Ford F100 shortbed 1/2 ton truck that put 3/4 ton running gear and a 390 into. That was an awesome truck. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap thrill.;D

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Or...go for a 4bt conversion - One of the guys here in the NW has a 4bt, 4wd, and gets 30+ MPG. Then you have your MPG and still 4x4!

OP
OP
shonivey

shonivey

Sorry I believe I have mispoke my intentions. My reference to 2 wheel drive is simply the omission of a transfercase . I have seen many without a front driveshaft for whatever reason. But i will kinda take it to the next step. It is just this one will never really see offroad use. Nothing set it stone just something i'm kicking around. The dana 30 will remain. But as opposed to looking for a F150 running gear , I pop over to winder to the mustang wrecking yard.
Like I said nothing set in stone...just one of those random thoughts I kick around in my head.
shon