• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone have these...Extra bulbs on taillight?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Removed the lenses off of a 76 parts Bronco and noticed something different that I’d never seen. Not sure why the extra socket and bulb is there or what it’s used for. Reverse bulbs are still there so what are these for? Any idea or anyone run into this before? Sorry pics are sideways

Attachments

• 7D1C247C-D1B0-4251-AD06-B6C2DB53E404.jpg
    7D1C247C-D1B0-4251-AD06-B6C2DB53E404.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 90ECF30D-88E3-4E6A-838E-FB705FFDDB2A.jpg
    90ECF30D-88E3-4E6A-838E-FB705FFDDB2A.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 218

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Same Bronco with the 2 license plate holders? If so you need to track the PO down and see what he was up to!!

Never seen it before.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Scoop, no different one. I got this one as a wedding gift 3+ years ago...great gift. It is crusty but it’s 76 auto, p/s, disc and drove when I got it. Was a friends dads mail delivery truck.

Broncobowsher, no tow bar...no signs of one. My friends dad bought it in early 80’s and don’t think it ever had one

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
May have something to do with it being used for mail delivery. I don’t know if contract carriers are required to have any special lighting.....

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could they may be for the mail delivery safety or something since phi’s dad delivered mail in it for 10 years? Can’t find a switch or anything for them
Blue71

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Andy you find the coolest and weirdest things. 🤪🤪🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That makes sense. But initially I was just going to say that maybe the old sockets were just way too inconsistent (and maybe not even working most of the time?) and they just wanted something newer with it's own dedicated ground.
But the aux lights for flashers makes a ton of sense.

Notice the paint though. That body color is not doing the overall lighting effect very much good.
I just picked up some matte white with titanium-dioxide in it for really good reflectivity. Been using the gloss white version, but was reminded recently by a member in another thread that matte is the better choice for reflecting inside a lamp housing for even light distribution through the lens.

Might clean those housings up and check the condition of the sockets.

Paul