• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone Interested in buying the Stak T case ???

Adventurous4x4

Loc.
Hagerstown , Md
I am putting together the 77 bronco that I own for the last time and was wondering what everyone thought of the Stak and the Atlas and want to know what the different opinions are about the different Tcases offered out there ????
I happen to like the Stak and was also wondering if anyone else was interested in getting one and if a Mass Buy was possiblely warrented???
Let me know andf I will do all I can to get it going

Randy Wood
Adventurous 4x4
301-791-6869
Ranbronco@aol.com

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I love my Atlas 4.3. I haven't heard much real-world good or bad about the Stak; of course it's only been available for a short time. The only concern I'd have about the Stak is the sheer weight (150+ lbs for the 3 spd case) hanging on the back of a tranny that wasn't designed for that kind of weight. Don't know if that's a valid concern or not?

Tapout

Loc.
Salt Lake City, UT
I am planning on getting a Stak T case. I wasn't planning on getting it that soon though. If there were a mass buy on it I would probably have to change my time frame and get the bosses approval. ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have an interest, but can't do it for a while. Getting a new garage that can hold more projects and getting a new house to go with it. Need to keep the spending to a minimum until I am in. With a little luck I might have a little extra cash in hand after closing, then I would be interested. But that isn't happening until the end of the year.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
the current STaK case will not fit well between our frame rails, at least, very well.
last time i checked they were still in the 'developing' phase of a smaller case version for the EB and other rides.

now if that small case is in the market place, then i'd be more willing to look into it. i've been needing a reason to start a pure off road EB since i sold the red one (only to move into a house with an UNUSED two car garage %) )

EDIT***
Just checked and the "B" model box is out and they even specifically mentioned the EB's rails.
Also, I really want the .79:1 OD gear ratio, nothing like a built in TC OD..... oooo imagine 351W + AOD + STaK case w/ OD gears
Just imagine a low ratio of 2.84*4.33=12.2972 before the axels and a high ratio of .73*.79=.5767

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
The B box is currently in production (which is the one that is designed for Early Broncos) the prototype was shown at the Off-Road Impact in Jan. and they are supposedly bringing a few production models to EJS.

For Atlas vs STaK; I'd prefer the STaK monster box (3speed). In the two speed arena, I may still prefer the STaK just on a price basis. I've talked to a few people that helped out on the testing and development of the STaK and they flogged the heck out of the cases for well over a year before going in to production. As long as the adapter can handle the weight, I don't think it would be an issue. A stock D300 weighs more and they are hung off the back of many of the same trannies we use.

Jangel

What's the width on the "B" model box? Can it be clocked to be flat with the frame?

heylouie00

I was considering the STAK, and I had been waiting for the "B-Box". I was told that it was going to be ready in Oct. '05, then Dec. '05, then Jan. '06, then Feb. '06, etc.

So, with the extra time I really tried to evaluate all of the gearing choices to decide if spending the ~$3K was going to be worth it.

The answer that I came up with for my situation was that it wasn't going to be worth it. I was running a NP435 and a Dana 20 & I was switching to a NV4500 and either a STAK or an Atlas. I went with an NV4500/Atlas 5.0

I think anyone thinking about this box should really "do the math" and figure out what each ratio you have will be and how big of a jump it is to the next gear (both upshift & downshift)

This will give you an idea of how useable the gearing will be and what your functional ratios will be. For instance if, if 1st gear Low is 78:1 & 2nd gear Low Low is 75:1, there isn't much difference and you may not use one of the gears as much as you think you will.

For my gearing situation, there was a lot of overlap & I could essentially keep the t'case in LowLow & just use the trans gears (since it is a 5 speed)

This may not be true for 3 speeds & autos...

There is an article on Pirate that also talks about this. I'll try to find a link as it may be helpful for others about to spend the money.

HTH.
--Craig

heylouie00

Oh, Also here is an example of some of my ratio choices...

They are Trans gear x t'case ratio x r&P ratio... (all #'s are approximate using 4.56's for R&P)

NP435/D20: 75:1, 37.5:1, 20:1, 11:1
NP435/D20/203: 75:1, 37.5:1, 20:1, 11:1 plus 150:1, 75:1, 40:1, 22:1
NP435/STAK: 93:1, 46:1, 25:1, 14:1 plus 166:1, 83:1, 44:1, 25:1

Nv4500/STAK: 78:1, 42:1, 23:1, 14:1, 10:1 plus 139:1, 75:1, 41:1, 25:1, 18:1

NV4500/Atlas5.0: 128:1, 69:1, 38:1, 23:1, 17:1

Notice some overlap?

So the NV4500/Atlas kept my existing ratios (mostly) & gave me a crawler gear with the minimum of overlap. I was pretty happy with my 435/20 & I just wanted to "freshen" it up & get a crawler gear for the tough stuff.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Tapout said:
I am planning on getting a Stak T case. I wasn't planning on getting it that soon though. If there were a mass buy on it I would probably have to change my time frame and get the bosses approval. ;D

I'm with Tapout. I haven't decided between the 4spd Atlas or the Stak, but I don't know that one will gain anything over the other. A 5:1 low low in a t-case would yield me a 117:1 crawl ratio, which should be plenty for anything I ever do. However, just the ability to go to a 10:1 in the atlas would be a nice feature if I wanted my bronco to do some crawling while I ate lunch, checked my email, made some phone calls, had a good nights sleep...;D

J.D.

num

Loc.
Mammoth Lakes, CA
The B stak case sounds like it has potential!

I still love my dana20 case, new bearings, AA HO rear shaft+housing, ~5:1 JP eater gears, twinsticks, and 1350 rear CV shaft. It's bomber, fits just perfectly, and still is short enough to have a healthy length in the rear driveshaft. The only shortcoming IMO is the lack of options in beefing up the front shaft, i.e. 1310 front and 1350 rear... But it's just fine for the 4wheel smokeouts.

In the end, I think it's a little cleaner frame-rail fitment than an atlas or stak case.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I hear now that AA is coming out with a 4 speed Atlas t-case

atlas4sp.jpg

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Mad - That's what I was saying. I am just sorta holding out until there are some with a few thousand miles on them to see how they're holding up.

A question to ponder on the OD Stak. Will the bearings for the OD gears support long trips? A t-case is generally used for highway driving in 2WD, which is straigh thru the box. What happens when you use gears to get to an OD? Will they hold up? I would have hoped that Stak considered this, but something worth checking into for those who need an OD. Me? I only need UD gears!!

J.D.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
Madgyver said:
I hear now that AA is coming out with a 4 speed Atlas t-case

atlas4sp.jpg

If you want one now - it's a 2 speed atlas with a Klune in front. They modified the klune to be a bit shorter for the 4speed kit, but if you don't mind the extra length you can do it now.

OP
OP
A

Adventurous4x4

Loc.
Hagerstown , Md
I was also thinking the Klune but I have found that you need an adapter and a few other things to fit it to the C$ that I am running and it was going to be more cost then the Atlas , I also have a call into AA for them to try and sell me the 4spd atlas but just dont know and the time is coming to get this thing done for the 40th in Paragon so dont know what I am going to do