• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone on here have an ORIGINAL Special Decor stripe Bronco?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I was at a show this past weekend and saw a rig that had a set of our Special Decor stripes on it. They looked great, but when the hood was up I noticed they were a bit short from fully wrapping around the sides.

I asked the owner about it and took a measurement of where he located the fender stripes (which should be used as the reference to then locate the hood piece).

My friends original which we used to patten these from years ago recently underwent a full body off resto and is in new paint awaiting a new set of decals, so I can not measure his again as a double check for my reference measurement.

What I need is the distance from the rear edge of the fender to the start of the stripe (measured along the edge of the fender that forms the fender/hood gap).

I'm thinking that the customer placed the fender pieces just a bit too far back which resulted in the hood piece being a bit short due to the tapered width of the hood, but I want to verify this to be certain.

We plan to add some extra material to the hood pieces so if they are slightly misplaced they will still get the desired full wrap on the edges of the hood.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Drew,
Sounds like he put it on too far forward to the front like you thought? Maybe your vinyl guy can do like OEM's and put a mark on the backing where the stripe goes on the door/fender and fender/hood, ect.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Hey Drew, I quess you are asking about the "Hockey Stick" stripes like a '77 Special Decor would have? I have a '77 that has the stripes and is original....very original...Still has mud and guts from '77! The stripes are still there; I will get you a measurement.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I just walked out to the shed and measured two '77s with the Special Decor stripes. Both are very original. One is a 5-77 build date, light jade with white stripes and white top. The other is candy apple red with black stripes and red top and has "Sport" badges with window trim and grill letters and trim. The green one is not badged "Sport" but it has original window trim and just the grill letters...no grill trim. The Green one even came without a dash pad and seems to have had the metal door panels. Ford seemed to do some weird things on the last '77s.... sort of like they were just using up what they had left. Oh...the grills in both were black.... And getting around to the measurements....The green one is 13" on one side and 13.0625" on the other side (thirteen and one sixteenth). The red one is exactly 13" on both sides. This is measuring from the back of the fender (in the fender-hood seam) to where the stripe crosses the seam onto the hood. Also, the stripe on the edge of the hood does'nt go completely to the edge. On both Broncos, the stripe stops in the middle of the hood edge. (With the hood up, looking at the edge, stops in the middle of the depth of the hood).
I can get you photos if you need them.
P.S. Do I get a free stripe kit for this in depth research?!? LOL!!!!!

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Thanks for the info!

Those numbers are real close to what I measured? The edge of the hood stripe ended midway on the edge of the hood, but not quite parallel with the edge of the hood. I'm not sure if that was the original cut end or if it was trimmed at all?

Either way, we will be adding an inch to each end so it can be trimmed to fit in the middle like seems to be stock or to the bottom edge of the hood as some may prefer.

With the hood closed none of these is noticeable, but it caught my eye when his hood was propped open and I wanted to make sure I found out why.

FordFan, sorry, no decals for these measurements, but you will get a set of the upcoming Explorer stripes for use of your other rig!

You must have a BIG shed! :eek:

Thanks!

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
smack talk

I cant reach mine to measure.It does have original paint ford fan loves original paint! I will try to get a tape on it tomorrow.

Attachments

• 10-9-2010-085.jpg
    10-9-2010-085.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC02171.jpg
    DSC02171.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN0226.jpg
    DSCN0226.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 198

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I cant reach mine to measure.It does have original paint ford fan loves original paint! I will try to get a tape on it tomorrow.

There is No Need to measure Ford Man.....That ole truck has been stretched, beat, modified, wheeled, abused, stepped on, lives on stinky gas, and rusted so much that the measurements probably won't be accurate!!!:eek::eek:

Hey Drew, it is not a "Big Shed", just a bunch of them!!! ...and still not enough.:cool: Not enough places to hide Broncos and parts!!;D;D

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dennis or anybody for that matter:).......

Do you know if the original black stripes were flat or semi gloss? Don't think they were gloss? I am going by my original silver paint front fender and it seems to be satin or semi gloss. Has a little sheen to it. I even tried a little cleaner and still can't tell for sure.
Hard to tell because it's really weathered. I had spoken to Drew at Super Celebration and he said he can produce which ever one I want, but I wanted it to be as stock as possible. Let me know. Anybody else out there gotta black striped Special a Decor?

Thanks,

Andy
Blue71

vintage bronco

Fordfan
can you post up a picture of your red Bronco with special decor stripe option ? [ side view and top view of hood ] i may go that route with my Ranger.

fosgate150

Dennis or anybody for that matter:).......

Do you know if the original black stripes were flat or semi gloss? Don't think they were gloss? I am going by my original silver paint front fender and it seems to be satin or semi gloss. Has a little sheen to it. I even tried a little cleaner and still can't tell for sure.
Hard to tell because it's really weathered. I had spoken to Drew at Super Celebration and he said he can produce which ever one I want, but I wanted it to be as stock as possible. Let me know. Anybody else out there gotta black striped Special a Decor?

Thanks,

Andy
Blue71

I am in the same boat, going stock as possible on my 76 special decor. I did a lot or research and found the original black stripes were the color Raven Black. I would say go more toward the semi-gloss/gloss. I got a set from Drew this year at Super Celebration, still working on the Bronco so I haven't put them on yet.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I am in the same boat, going stock as possible on my 76 special decor. I did a lot or research and found the original black stripes were the color Raven Black. I would say go more toward the semi-gloss/gloss. I got a set from Drew this year at Super Celebration, still working on the Bronco so I haven't put them on yet.

What color did we do for you?

Eastwood

I have an original 77' sport with stripes and the the funny thing is, ford put mine on about 1 inch different on each side. Where the stripe comes back to the tail light, one side is an inch longer than the other. I guess when I put the new ones on, I'll have to put them on wrong to be factory correct. LOL!

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Fordfan
can you post up a picture of your red Bronco with special decor stripe option ? [ side view and top view of hood ] i may go that route with my Ranger.

Hey Vintage, has this answered your questions or do you need specifics?