• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

anyone planning to stuff this in a bronco

suckerpunched

new ford 7.3L pushrod engine

Attachments

• 7-3l-v8-gas-ford-1564676585.jpg
    7-3l-v8-gas-ford-1564676585.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 321

Jedhead

I'm sure someone will eventually shove one in an early eB, my first thought is why the hell cant that oil filter be in a better spot. I was so happy when I went from my ford 7.3 to 6.0 and the filter was on top, small win I guess as that 6.0 was a piece of crap, diesel no doubt, but can't a gas engine have an isolated filter as well? Running a Chevy now and the filter and drain plug make absolutely no sense, probably just me, but got to be a better way !

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, interesting question. Not meant as a revver I would not think, but as a replacement for diesels in heavier trucks and motorhomes they're going to want it to be a stump puller.
I think it's got a forged, standard firing crank for now in a cast-iron block.
Lower and narrower than a 5.0 Coyote, but longer.

No need for the flat plane crank at that point.
But hey, a 7.3 wound up to almost 8,000 rpm would be a thing to behold!

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Based on how tall it looks, looks like you could run the exhaust straight out the top of the hood. Probably half the motor would stick out the hood.

bbaltered

Hmm, interesting question. Not meant as a revver I would not think, but as a replacement for diesels in heavier trucks and motorhomes they're going to want it to be a stump puller.
I think it's got a forged, standard firing crank for now in a cast-iron block.
Lower and narrower than a 5.0 Coyote, but longer.

No need for the flat plane crank at that point.
But hey, a 7.3 wound up to almost 8,000 rpm would be a thing to behold!

Paul

My 429 turns 7500, is that close enough?

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
After the aftermarket gets a hold of it and wakes it up, absolutely. In stock form it would be nice but I think it has a big future in performance ahead of it. Nicest part is it is smaller than a coyote. I think firewall modifications will need to be made possibly to accommodate the 10R80 behind it and make it fit length wise but we wont know till we get one to try...

tampabronco

i read somewhere that a Ford rep said the new 7.3 engine wasn't meant to be in a mustang but it would fit. If that''s the case it would fit in a bronco

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have thought about this already. Would be a great install for a Bronco. As stated, not as wide and shorter than a Coyote, but it is longer.

I can see a Crate Motor and Power Pack coming from Ford soon to put it in anything.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I would copy nvrstuk's 460W stroker instead, we already know a 351W block fits and bolts up without needing any adapters or sawzall/welder surgery, and it would have more displacement than this 7.3L.

Nothing Special

.... Not meant as a revver I would not think, but as a replacement for diesels in heavier trucks and motorhomes they're going to want it to be a stump puller....

Keep in mind the 6.8L V10 that has been the big gas engine for a long time now. I have one in my E-450 motorhome and it's no stump puller. I really don't like driving it when it needs to rev close to 4000 rpm to buck a mild headwind, and often over 5000 to pull a hill. But even I have to admit that it's pretty impressive that an engine can make a 28' class C motorhome towing a '71 Bronco pretty much keep up with freeway traffic, even in the mountains (but not on the steepest hills) and still average 7.5 mpg. I don't think stump pullers are the goal anymore.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe not, but I think that's actually the goal here this time. Completely different worlds between overhead cams and pushrod engines and their strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes those things cross over, but often they work in different areas.

I'm guessing that fuel efficiency is pretty high on the list of things-to-achieve for this new engine. So that might (or might not?) put their tuning peaks at different rpm levels than the modular engines. Then again, maybe that peak rpm level was found to be at higher revs? After all, they did make the Mustang engine a real revver, and are putting smaller and smaller engines even into the trucks these days, so maybe the thought will be the same with the new one.
In fact, I'm showing my ignorance of the fact that I thought Ford had dropped the V10 long ago! I did not realize it was still being put into vehicles. Maybe I just had not been looking at the badges on the side of full-size vans and motorhomes lately.

As to fitting in a Bronco... I still say maybe.
It looks small, but it's got wider bore spacing than a Windsor, so may be in the realm of putting a 460 into an EB. Of course, with a more compact accessory drive system they might be able to compensate for that.
Let's hope they put as much thought into that as they did when they re-did the drive for the Explorers. Maybe even better!

Paul

Nothing Special

.... In fact, I'm showing my ignorance of the fact that I thought Ford had dropped the V10 long ago! I did not realize it was still being put into vehicles. Maybe I just had not been looking at the badges on the side of full-size vans and motorhomes lately....

The E-Series vans disappeared in about 2015 when the Transits came out, and the Transits do not have any big engine options, using EcoBoost instead. But the E-Series cutaways are still being built for buses, cube vans and motorhomes. Mine is a 2015.

It will be interesting to see what personality the 7.3L has. I know I've heard a lot of truck people who agree with me that the mod motors simply aren't truck motors. I had a 5.4L in an '08 F-250 and the 6.8L in my motorhome. I absolutely hated that pickup and would REALLY like to put a turbo diesel in my motorhome so I didn't need to listen to that V10 scream (and when you want to switch to a turbo diesel because of the noise you KNOW you've got a problem!). So maybe Ford heard and listened.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I worked for Trailmaster we got an early '97 F150 to design a lift kit for. The suspension actually came out decently I thought (even though we went back to the replacement spindle/knuckle type which I hated), but with 35" Baja T/A's (68Ford will know what they're like!) with stock gearing, whatever that was (3.55 maybe?) and the 4.6 it was not fun to drive. I had high hopes, but no such luck.
What a dog!

I had to drive it around the Southwest to show the customers and really felt that even though it was hamstrung by tall gearing and tall tires, that the engine really lacked any low-rpm power. When I say it was a dog, I mean it was a real DOG!
I'm guessing the newer generations were improved in that respect, but still hauling around a big truck needs more. A lot more than that thing would ever deliver.

Paul

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
The E-Series vans disappeared in about 2015 when the Transits came out, and the Transits do not have any big engine options, using EcoBoost instead. But the E-Series cutaways are still being built for buses, cube vans and motorhomes. Mine is a 2015.

It will be interesting to see what personality the 7.3L has. I know I've heard a lot of truck people who agree with me that the mod motors simply aren't truck motors. I had a 5.4L in an '08 F-250 and the 6.8L in my motorhome. I absolutely hated that pickup and would REALLY like to put a turbo diesel in my motorhome so I didn't need to listen to that V10 scream (and when you want to switch to a turbo diesel because of the noise you KNOW you've got a problem!). So maybe Ford heard and listened.

this is why I got a dp to haul the bronco around