• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

anyone recognize this power steering geerbox?

eudaman

i think it was an aftermarket add on, but it needs to be replaced...it is like im captaining the love boat, the thing is so floaty. anyone know where to get a replacement for this or what it is?

steering2.jpg

steering3.jpg

steering34.jpg

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Could you shrink that first picture? it takes 2 monitors to see it.

Then again, there isn't much to see. There is a little bit of a pitman arm sticking down, but I couldn't even tell if it is a power steering box.

Try showing us a picture of the steering box when looking in through the wheel well.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Eudaman-

You show no steering gearbox in any of those three pics. All you show is your Dana 44 axle and driveshaft. I dont mean this to sound rude, but do you know what you are really asking about?? I am not trying to make you sound stupid, but if you do want to figure out a problem you believe your having, you need to give us more info, details, relevant pics, etc.

John

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Can't see the steering box in these pictures, they're all of the front axle housing, from the back. Steering box is in front of the axle on the outside of the drivers side framerail. Take some pix looking in around 90 degrees to the frame just in front of the tire.

OP
OP
E

eudaman

ok, it is true...we all now know that i am the worst car guy in the free world, i will attempt to find the true geerbox, and bare the shame of reposting the pics lolol

Doyle

Bronco Guru
We were all beginers once, long ago for some, LOL.

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
before you get all crazy buying another box. check the torque on the 3 bolts and look at the frame to make sure it is not cracked. Check the steering shaft universal, ragjoint, and upper bushing. After that check the draglink ends, and then tierod ends. Have an assistant wiggle the wheel (truck off) and see where the motion is being lost.

Has your allignment been checked lately? Are your tires up to pressure? (back too)

one unrelated thing. Looks like you greased your front driveshaft. The universal doesnt look like its been greased though. Do yourself a favor and clean up the glob of grease inside the driveshaft yolk. There is only a 30% chance or so that it will sling out and hit the gound rather than the bottom of your truck. Nothing much is worse than crawling under a truck and getting a golfball sized glob of grease in your hair.

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
Definitely check all the things Cavalry posted-they are very good and relevant pieces to inspect....I will add one thing, my frame was cracked on the inside of the rail so after some welding and grinding I had my local metal shop cut a 1/4" steel plate which I drilled and bolted to my frame with new grade 8 hdw so my frame was effectively a sandwhich where the 1/4" plate and box is the bread. Make sure to not get the plate hung up on any welds or it will not be flat against the frame and thus will not work efficiently. If you need to then you can make a metal shim and weld it in to take up any extra gaps. The point here is to make the box tight against the frame and to keep it from wiggling while you turn the steering wheel. Measure twice-cut once. Hope this helps.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
One more thing to check while assistant is wiggling the wheel, track bar bushings. Hope ya find the problem.