• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone runnin a 9" front and rear?

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
Im guessing the complete hi-9 setup front and rear from currie or custom fab work... im considering doing a project hi-9 rear and front on my own, but not until i get my shop lol

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Sounds like it would be great but currie doesn't make a hi 9. they make an 8.8 that looks like a 9. They do make a really nice looking 9'' front housing. I am wondering what they use from the ball joints out. Ford never made any 9'' front's.

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Western Differential made a 9" for a guy down in Tuscon.
Hi-9 is expensive, but nice. I hear they do real well. I think they have had one death but the owner admits beating on it without mercy and did not complain that it finally failed.
Currie high pinion uses the ring and pinion from an 8.8 front diff from the f150. I asked and they didn't recomend putting any real power into it. Works good in Jeeps that don't have any power.

OP
OP
ugly_od_eb

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
um... i know people make them lol, but i was wondering if anyone runs this setup, i want pics and info on install and which way did they deside on. I want to make my own if possible

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
coach barnes runs one in his racer.
he's still across the pond drinking warm beer, he might chime in later on.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
coach barnes runs one in his racer.
he's still across the pond drinking warm beer, he might chime in later on.

We're not actually running a High 9", but we are running a "609" front/rear. (9" r/p with Dana 60 outers). I don't have any pics here, but the Sunray website has some decent ones along with good descriptions of the parts used. They have a "shaved 9"" that will probably get the clearance you receive with a High 9", but you can check it out and see...

Sunray Engineering

Their driveline stuff is generally bulletproof unless you fail to check the torque on the diff cover and allow all your fluid to leak out while you are trying to race across the desert... not that I would know from experience! :cry: :cry:

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Extreme 4x4 did a 609 front axle on one of their rock buggy's.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
There's loads of folks making 609's and variants of.

The one that I am eyeing lustfully though is the Spidertrax setup with a TrueHi9 and the F450 outers on the welded knuckles. :drool:

If it's just the high pinion chunk you want, the TrueHi9 is the only one out there worth considering. Currie has supposedly improved on theirs, but I haven't seen any reviews on it since the revision.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
My wife and I were taking a cruise/camping trip on Saturday in the Bronco down south to the Hooiser Nat. For. and while stopping for gas this guy pulled up in a Jeep. Said he just got back from CO on a wheeling trip. He was from Russia; his English was pretty good but I am not sure that I got everything straight. He was checking out the Bronco and asking about my axles. I started to check out his Jeep after he mentioned his "high pinion 9" front axle from Currie. I thought he might of been confused at first...but it was as he claimed. The fabwork was really nice, I couldnt tell what outers were on it and with my wife back in the Bronco waiting I couldnt afford too long of a conversation...might make for a looong trip. He did tell me that the axle cost him $4500 and shipping it cost him a couple hundred more. I believe he claimed that he was having castor problems with his 44 and he couldnt/didnt find a place to rotate the knuckle or replace the wedges...but that might have been where we were miscommunicating...he might have said that he considered the 44, but for the above reasons went with the Curry offering. I guess if your going to do it...do it once and right. I should have exchanged info; he seemed pretty cool...despite the Jeep.;) Actually, it looked like he was building a pretty nice Jeep...some body work/clean up was evident and he asked me about body shops after chekcing out my paint.

OP
OP
ugly_od_eb

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
Like these?;D

Thank you, i was lookin in a summit mag and saw a whole full width hex style 9" housing i wanted to use as a base for the front and do the same on the rear. But has OX locker made anything for a 9" yet? ... i would love to have it front and rear and i know ARB is good stuff but plumbing all that stuff looks like more things to fail, compressor, hoses, ect...

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Here's one of our customer's trucks:

dscn8211.jpg

Its a Currie unit with D44 knuckles. We supplied the D44 parts but Currie built the housing and a different shop installed it before we got our hands on it to do the suspension work. The owner runs some pretty tough trails with no problems with it so far. He also has a Currie high pinion in the rear.

Dusty

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
That's the 1550, which is crazy strong, but not even the crown jewel. There's a few offerings on them now.

Here's the 1610 -
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311740&highlight=

Do some more search on this buggy.

That axle is forking HUGE, and crazy strong. Now some others have gone and made their own 1610, but Sunray was the first that I know of. It dwarfs a D60, and makes D44 junk look like it came out of a kids toy.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456326&highlight=

I'm not sure if Sunray is still manufacturing it or not now.