• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running 28 spline axle with 35's & 4.56 gears ?

screamin reel

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta, Ca
I know I should upgrade to 31 spline but this is only going to be a Sunday driver. If I were to upgrade to 31, what would a good inexpensive carrier be for the street ?
So far I have been told to go 4.56 on the gears.
Stock 302, C-4, factory L/S

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Cheapest way to do it, replace the side gears in the posi with ones for 31 spline.
Don't need to replace the whole carrier.
4.56 should be fine. Not the best for cross country driving, but for a sunday driver I would call them good. Lets say "limited highway use"

Paco

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Broncobowsher said:
Cheapest way to do it, replace the side gears in the posi with ones for 31 spline.
QUOTE]

How difficult is that? Where do you buy the side gears?

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I'm running 28's with 4:11's and an auburn locker.
Have had no problems yet but future plans are for 31's 4:56 and ARB

wrestler034

If it only on road and open you will be fine with the 28 spline. I ran spooled, 28 spline, all last season and didnt break a shaft. I was not easy on it and probably got lucky. On road it would not be an issue.

66bajabronco

Loc.
Louisville, Ky
I am running a 28 spline with 4.56 gears, 36 tsl for the trail and 35 baja claws for the street, and a locker. I haven't had a problem with anything breaking. I have even had both rear tires spinning on pavement.

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
I had 35 Boggers on my last EB with 4.88 gears and lock-right lockers. It took 2 years of wheeling on the weekends to finally twist one of the axles off at the splines. The other was beginning to twist. I think it helped that I had an automatic trans too.

samjaxfl

Loc.
Neptune Beach
I run 35's w/ 4.56 gears and did not upgrade my 28 spline until last year. Not because the axle broke but because I replaced my C4 with a nv3550 and side stepped the clutch and tore up my spider gears, the axles still look fine!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I broke several stock 28 spline axles with 35" BFG Mud Terrains, 4.56 gears, and a Detroit Locker. (All of them from twisting the splines off) I finally upgraded them to 28 spline alloy axles which held up for several months to the same tires and for a few months with 37" Iroks. I upgraded to the larger axes as a precautionary measure rather than wait for the 28 spline alloy axles to break.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I have broken only one 28 spline axle in all these years and I can tell you that I was not easy on them at all . 302 + C4 + D-20 + 4.56 R&P and a mini spool with 16-35 X 15 Boggers , 35-12.50 X 17 BFG Kr and 35-14.50 X 17 GoodYear MTR . One thing that you might want to consider is this ... I know it can happen because I just experienced it last week . I put a full width 9" housing in my bronco and I had a center section all assembled and ready to go with a 31 spline mini spool inside , then I go to slide the fresh 31 spline axles in and they won't go . I am convinced that they sold me the wrong mini spool and I tear everything apart only to find out that the carrier is actually too small to allow the 31 spline axles to go in . So what I'm saying is before you go to the trouble of removing and re-instaling your 9" with 31 spline side gears , check the carrier to make sure it is big enough to slide the axles in . I hope it all works out for you !

Howiebilt

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Broncobowsher said:
Don't need to replace the whole carrier.
4.56 should be fine. Not the best for cross country driving, but for a sunday driver I would call them good. Lets say "limited highway use"

The clutch pack in the L/S would need to be upgrade also. It meshes with the same splines as the left side gear.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
These questions are always popping up on 28 splines - and there's no definitive answer.

If you are a hard driver then you can break it. I've seen guys run 39.5's and not break it. Then again I've seen 33's break 31 spline allow axles. It's all on how you wheel and what you do. Essentially loading and unloading an axle (like wheel hopping and side stepping the clutch) will break an axle.

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
I've got 35's, 4:11's and a detroit with my 28 splines. I recently replaced both axles with alloy ones. Aside from where the bearing spun and destroyed one of the axles, they both looked brand new - no signs of stress anywhere. I have a c4 and wheel mostly on softer stuff - I live 5 miles from Cinder hills OHV park. I'd probably want to upgrade if I did a lot on the rocks.