• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running a 460/What else can I pull from a '79 F150?

highgeer

Loc.
Denver, CO
I was wondering if anyone out there runs a 460? There's a guy up the street from me that has a decent looking 1979 F150 Customer for sale... for $650!

Well, then I notice some of the writing on the window - it says "Strong 460." The body is in fair condition. I had a chance to chat with the owner and he said that it runs really good. His main problem is that whenever you start it, it lurches forward, so you have to slam on the brakes.

So, I'm thinking a lot of things. Should I buy this truck, pull the 460 and install my 302 in the truck and just get my money back? How easy would it be to fix that tranny problem? Are there any other items I can pull from this truck to improve mine (I'm pretty sure I saw a power brake booster and that it has disk brakes up front)?

I definitely don't have the time or funds to restore this and my Bronco, so what are your thoughts?

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Re:Anyone running a 460?

The general thought in the past is that a 460 is way too much weight in the front. Also by the time you pay for all the adaptors and custom work to put one in you might as well put in a stroked 351 with more power and less weight. I've heard of it being done though.......your truck, your choice. Just don't put in a freakin Chevy motor. ;D

EricLar80

Bronco Guru

I agree, not worth it. You would need to change out your tranny and transfer case, shorten your drive shaft (way short, there was a pick of one a while back), and fab up a whole bunch of stuff. May as well dump that good money into a 351w. <br>-Eric

OP
OP
highgeer

highgeer

Loc.
Denver, CO

It is a 4x4, and according to the owner, 4wd works great. However, I don't have the means to keep it: no money to insure it, no money to restore it, and no where to store it (already have four cars in front of the house!).<br><br>So, for the $650 to buy it, is there anything I could strip from it that would make this worth my effort (ie power brake booster, front disk brakes, axles)? I know a lot fo people pull parts from F150s and F250s, but I'm not sure what parts from what years? I believe I'd still be able to get close to $500 back if I resold it sans a few choice parts - especially if I didn't touch the engine.

lpsolo

Loc.
Fresno, CA

Speaking of Grizzly's comment about chevys in Broncs, I ran across a eb parked with cobwebs, with a license plate which said blown 350. Left my card on the windshield asking for him to call me. I agree with Grizzly, why would you put a 350 chevy in an eb???

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _

[quote author=lpsolo link=board=5;threadid=9795;start=0#70565 date=1033656522]<br>Speaking of Grizzly's comment about chevys in Broncs, I ran across a eb parked with cobwebs, with a license plate which said blown 350. Left my card on the windshield asking for him to call me. I agree with Grizzly, why would you put a 350 chevy in an eb???<br>[/quote]<br><br>If that's the case, let's hope they meant blown as in "rod through the block".

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _

Grizzly -- I could see the wieght difference, but more power out of a stroked 351W than a 460? I must be behind in technology, 'cause my old-school self still believes in the big block power thing. I would think a guy should be able to build a 460 with more torque than a stroked small block. I might be wrong though (it wouldn't be the first time).

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA

Talking stock 460(remember, you just spent all the money you had shoehorning it in) versus, say 351 stroked to 426-7-8-whatever with at least 500 HP for around comparable money spent. Sure you can build a bigger better 460, I was referring to same budget.

justinsane

Loc.
Casper, Wyoming

cjjhalfcab, not sure what you're after. How much torque do you really need?? The 460 is about a 25% increase in weight, and I'm sure lots of probs stuffing it in.<br><br>If the truck was a 4X4, it would be a conversion, Ford didn't put 460's in 4X4's in that year, but would probably be worth it just for parting out.<br><br>Have to agree with other posters, you'd probably be a lot happier with a stroked 351 is your after torque.<br><br>Brian

OP
OP
highgeer

highgeer

Loc.
Denver, CO

[quote author=highgeer link=board=5;threadid=9795;start=0#70560 date=1033655436]So, for the $650 to buy it, is there anything I could strip from it that would make this worth my effort (ie power brake booster, front disk brakes, axles)? I know a lot fo people pull parts from F150s and F250s, but I'm not sure what parts from what years? I believe I'd still be able to get close to $500 back if I resold it sans a few choice parts - especially if I didn't touch the engine.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'm still wondering if there's any parts I might be able to pull off this F150 and improve my Bronco? Thanks!

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _

[quote author=JustinSane link=board=5;threadid=9795;start=0#70625 date=1033667435]<br>cjjhalfcab, not sure what you're after. How much torque do you really need?? The 460 is about a 25% increase in weight, and I'm sure lots of probs stuffing it in.<br><br>If the truck was a 4X4, it would be a conversion, Ford didn't put 460's in 4X4's in that year, but would probably be worth it just for parting out.<br><br>Have to agree with other posters, you'd probably be a lot happier with a stroked 351 is your after torque.<br><br>Brian<br>[/quote]<br><br>I just have a fresh 302 in mine, so I'm pretty happy with it. If anything happens to it, then my 351C 4V is going in. That should give me all the torque I would ever want in a small vehicle, but right now the little 302 does a pretty good job. I think a big block in the EB would be damn near suicide, unless you used it in mud bog competition.

alsroadster

Loc.
Sandia Park, NM
You never really got an answer to your question about what parts can you use off the 79 on your EB. There are a number of smaller parts, like clutch and brake pedal pads, intermittant wiper switch, etc there's the<br>steering column, if it's tilt and many other things depending on your imagination and willingness to make mods.<br> The main things to me are the diffs, esp the front disc brake Dana 44. Also the trans if it's a 4sp man. Wheels, ps box, I just keep thinking of stuff. Don't know about the pb booster, surely if it's a good swap somebody would have mentioned it on this forum.<br> As far as that tranny prob, I'd look at the shift linkage first.<br> Go for it!!!!!!