• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running a Factory Ford Sport Steering Wheel?

OX1

Bronco Guru
This is correct. I have not seen one of the black wheels that has provisions for a horn. This first picture from my earlier post (#14) was from a black wheel. Just a blank cover plate on the backside, no contacts for the column, no connectors for a horn button. The horn button itself is more of a cover for the steering wheel hub, not an actual functioning button like on the chrome steering wheels.

The black steering wheel I have came off an '82 Mustang, which had the horn located on the turn signal stalk. No need for any of the horn guts to be located in the steering wheel, as they are all in the stalk/column.

OK, now that you mention that, I do remember some of those cars now. Always thought it was one of the dumbest ideas for horn placement.

Deano

Bronco Guru
Here is a pic of mine
c6e4c072-56a6-3aff.jpg

muskrat

Bronco Guru
I run one but think it's vintage aftermarket. It's small diameter which looks cool but with manual steering it gets tough. Pics are in my gallery.

It's starting it's age. I mightnpull it and have the old chrome powder coated gray to match the seats. I think it would look cool.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
If I remember correctly, the early Bronco column is a smaller diameter (3 1/4") than the
78 columns (about 4") at the signal assembly area.

I considered that wheel, but the mis-matched size was a deal breaker for me and my AOCD (Automotive OCD).

The other issues were the lack of a horn switch on about half of them, as already discussed, and that many offered on eBay were in pretty poor shape.

Agree it's a great looking wheel, but I ended up going with a Grant in a somewhat similar style to avoid the hassles and the big gap where the wheel meets the column.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Deano, great looking steering wheel, thanks for posting the pic.

Stroppe-Envy-77, I had a similar concern about the Grant steering wheel not looking right with the 78 tilt column I'm installing so the Ford Sport wheel should fit properly and cover up gap.

I'll post photos in a month or so when I get around to installing it all.
C-

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Stroppe-Envy-77, I had a similar concern about the Grant steering wheel not looking right with the 78 tilt column I'm installing so the Ford Sport wheel should fit properly and cover up gap.
C-

Actually, a Grant will match up with pretty much anything. That's why they sell the wheels and adaptors separately.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I run one but think it's vintage aftermarket. It's small diameter which looks cool but with manual steering it gets tough. Pics are in my gallery.

It's starting it's age. I mightnpull it and have the old chrome powder coated gray to match the seats. I think it would look cool.

That appears to be a Grant, and they still sell those older designs.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
I'm on my third Grant and I'm ready for something more perminant. 1st was from the PO and it was white and dirty, yuuucckkk. You could see every speck of grease from previous mechanics and it wouldn't wash clean.

The second one was a basic 3 spoker with a chrome horn button. Everytime I'd hit hard bumps the horn button would fall off and start honking. Not cool.

My third one is starting to show signs of wear and tear after 12,000 miles. I looked at their adapters for the 78 columns and the column is bigger than the adapter so there's an odd coupler appearance.

The stock sport steering wheel will eliminate that problem, hopefully I can restore it to a look sharp. I'll post pics in a month or two when I get enough free time to do the install.
Thanks for all the imput guys!
Chris