• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running a Hi9 rear?

Sasquatch

I've done a little searching on this but havent seen much info on it. I will be redoing my rear gears soon and by the time I price everything with a new nodular case and new yoke, the Hi9 really isnt that much more to swallow if its gonna help with driveline issues alot. Any strength issues? I do know that 4.56 is about as low as you should go before the pinion gets weak. Or would I be wasting money on it with only a 3.5" lift. I am running a ZF which pushes it back and makes it a steeper angle though. I'd rather put the money out now for it than to have driveshaft issues later. Also, the hi9 only comes with a 1330 yoke so is there anyone making a 1330 for the D20 output? I know I can use the adapter joints but would prefer to have all the same joints. Thanks for any info SB

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
There was a tread not too long ago about a guy wanted to change out his hi9 and a member who works on them was talking about them asking why. Anyways long story short I would search the forum and contact that memeber who works on them...he'll be able to asnwer all your questions.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
You could give 'em a call with your questions / concerns.

http://www.truehi9.com/

So far, I'm quite pleased with mine.
Only been on one wheelin run with it though.
I have the 1350 forged yoke.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Sasquatch said:
I've done a little searching on this but havent seen much info on it. I will be redoing my rear gears soon and by the time I price everything with a new nodular case and new yoke, the Hi9 really isnt that much more to swallow if its gonna help with driveline issues alot. Any strength issues? I do know that 4.56 is about as low as you should go before the pinion gets weak. Or would I be wasting money on it with only a 3.5" lift. I am running a ZF which pushes it back and makes it a steeper angle though. I'd rather put the money out now for it than to have driveshaft issues later. Also, the hi9 only comes with a 1330 yoke so is there anyone making a 1330 for the D20 output? I know I can use the adapter joints but would prefer to have all the same joints. Thanks for any info SB

According to the website, you can get a 1310 yoke on it. That's what I was planning on using when I was considering the option. What driveline combo are you running? I was considering running one with my 700R4/4 spd. Atlas combo but it appears that I can get away w/o it. I only have about a 3-3.5" lift myself though too.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Sasquatch

Sasquatch

I forgot about the REAL Hi9 actually. I was looking into the currie high pinion 9". Guess I shouldnt have called it a Hi9. The currie one is ALOT cheaper though but doesnt get it up as high as the Hi9. I think its pinion sits about an inch lower, no big deal. Is the currie unit the one that uses 8.8 gearsets? I hadnt looked into these in a loooong time but remember issues with one of the high pinions back then. What I'm running is a zf/d-20 combo but plan to swap to an atlas at the first breakage of the D-20. I also will be doing alot of highway miles with 200+ mile trips to the beach and mountains, so I want reliability. The decreased driveline angle seems worth the price to me, I've dropped a few shafts in the past at 1;00 AM in BFE, no fun. Every time it was because of premature u-joint failure because of the angle (+ lack of preventative maint.) If strength and reliability are OK, then I think I'll go for it. Thanks again SB

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
yea- the currie one uses the 8.8 and is rated for up to 33" or maybe 35" tires. Several months ago on pirate a guy from currie stated they were going to discontinue their 8.8 version and start sourcing from Hi9 - not sure if it's 100% true, just passing it along.

Personally, I'd save for the True Hi9.

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
I have the high9 and really like it. I only had to go to it after 5.5 inches of lift and the longer C6 205 combo. I am very happy with it. As the matter of fact it is about the only drivetrain part that has held together for me!!! Also running the 1310 forged yoke

OP
OP
Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Mountainview68, are you putting any road miles on it or just off road. I'm sure its a good unit but would like to hear from someone whos put some miles on one before I spend it. Lots of these types of parts never see high speed highway conditions which I'll be seeing plenty of. Thanks SB

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
I really don't do alot of driving in the bronco. I have ran around on occasion at 70 with no problems When you order they ask you what your driving is like. I.E. street only, street/trial, trail only. And to clarify I am running the truhi9.

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
How's this for an action shot? Hopefully in the next month or so I'll have some better ones.

Attachments

• BroncoBuild025.jpg
    BroncoBuild025.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 41