• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone Running a Water/Fuel Separator?

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I'm considering installing a Perma Cool water/fuel separator on the frame where the stock tank lines come together. I figured it would be just the ticket for the rainy weather and be good before the fuel filter just before the carb. Any thoughts?

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
They are standard equip. on 7.3 diesels. I have one on mine and it was the first piece of equpiment I learned to fix on it's way home the first time.

I'll be CTD is Cummings Turbo diesel

J. R.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
It's a gas engine and unless you plan on not running gas caps I see no reason for it. Fuel/Water Separators usually stick to the realm of diesels and boats. Diesel fuel is easily contaminated by water and boats its obvious. There's really no benefit unless you ford rivers frequently in your Bronco.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Well.. I am running one.. but I modified it a little. I liked it cause it is a BIG filter and is easy to replace.

I turned mine into an accumulator. I brazed a 3" tube down from the middle pick-up. This defeats the water seperator idea.. but saved a bunch of $$ for my EFI solution. Mine is also mounted to the frame rail above the rear axle... nice and safe and still easy to get to.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
I agree, diesel fuek is more easily contaminated. I had a problem with water in mine a number of times. Finally drained the tank, dumped it and hand dried
it. Problem seems to be solved.
I dont think gas is as suseptible. Water is LESS of a problem in a gas engine. I undersatnd it's pretty lethal in a diesel. I dont know this first hand and dont want to.

I would think it's overkill in a gas engine. If you're real worried, the cheaper thing would be to bleed the bottom of the tank peiodically, water sinks and drains first.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D On a gas motor why would you want one? I have put water injection on motors to make them work better. %) %) %) Bill ;D %)

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
ok then. maybe a nice fuel filter instead. that would be one large on the frame and one small after the fuel pump before the carb. does that sound reasonable?

question:
why did/do peple put "Heat" into their older vehicle fuel tanks (back in my day) in the winter if moisture isn't a problem??

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Water injection??? explain please.

The permacool filter/seperator will still filter really well... plus who cares if it also seperates water?

I think 'Heat' was more of a stabilizer to keep the gas from varnishing in the cold weather or something.. could be totally wrong with that one though.

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
67EB_in_619 said:
Water injection??? explain please.

The permacool filter/seperator will still filter really well... plus who cares if it also seperates water?

cool...i thought it would...wasn't sure. off to summitt I go

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I use heet it is to stop the freezing in the line when it gets real cold water will freeze. Heet will stop the freeze. I never used it in ca. but hear it gets real cold. ;D ;D ;D Bill %) :p ;D

toque

Loc.
Surrey, BC
I thought that a water seperator was used on Diesel engines to prevent damage to the injector. I understood that because of the high injection pressures, water in the fuel can cavitate and errode the injector tip as it's injected. But in a gas engine the fuel pressures (even a fuel injected motor) is orders of magnitudes lower than diesel reducing the risk of damage to the injectors. There's still the risk of water freezing in the tank of a gasoline vehicle so I don't think a water seperator would hurt (as long as it doesn't restrict flow to the injectors).
Water injection is used mainly on turbo or supercharged engines where the increased air intake pressure heats the air which can lead to premature detonation. Spraying some water into the air just before it goes into the combustion chamber will reduce the temperature and allow for more even burning and avoid detonation. They used this back on some of the planes in WWII.