• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running an explorer 5.0 roller cam in a 289?

Redbark

Does anyone have experience running an explorer 5.0 cam in a 289? I'm considering going this route, using the Comp cams Evolution Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Lifters.
My 289 shortblock is newly rebuilt and original to the truck, so I don't want to go with a 5.0. I have the explorer cam in hand.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't see any issues. I would have the heads redone and use the explorer valve spring specs. Roller cams are known for being more aggresssive on the ramp rates. Need a little more spring to match the cam.

I like the 289. I always thought it was a happier engine than the 302. The only thing I like better about the late model block is the one piece rear main seal.

OP
OP
R

Redbark

Don't see any issues. I would have the heads redone and use the explorer valve spring specs. Roller cams are known for being more aggresssive on the ramp rates. Need a little more spring to match the cam.

I like the 289. I always thought it was a happier engine than the 302. The only thing I like better about the late model block is the one piece rear main seal.
Thanks for the input.
I have refurbished GT40P heads on the 289 and I've modified the manifolds to work with the plug angle.
I've read that there are issues with not having the appropriate base circle on the roller cam, such that the lifters won't be retained in the bores. I'm not sure if that applies to the explorer cam with these retro-fit lifters.
I've also emailed comp cams to get input from them.

Rust

Make sure to match up the material on the distributor gear with the cam, the rollers use a steel gear on the cam vs the older iron. You'll have a bad day if you mismatch those on accident. Not a big deal if you're swapping out the distributor for a newer one, just a lesson i hope nobody else has to deal with.