• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone shorten their ZF/M5ODR2 shifter handle ?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I know it's only been a few days since I finished my M5R2 conversion but dang the shifter is HIGH. Maybe this is a product of the 97 and up shifter? It's almost as high as the steering wheel.

Was looking for advice on how to shorten the handle. Cut and weld? Has anyone used a Ranger R1 handle on a R2? I've read conflicting things over on Ranger Station about this. Seems the shifter internals (the stub that stick out of the Trans) are different between R1, R2 and late R2's (97 and up) so you can't swap the whole shifter but the upper part (the handle) that bolts to the stub should work. I say that because I find mop mention of it being different. Also the stick (above the boot) is just a shorter version of the F150 stick. Was hoping someone had tackled this issue.

Was thinking about going to the "yard" and finding a Ranger sick and using the upper (maybe the lower too) and putting it on the M5R2. I looked at the Hurst shifter......Those things are HIGH and not really in my budget. Looking for a more DIY approach.

Tim

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks for the link Jon. Nice looking shifter...........

I had a long lunch today (well made one) and ran to the salvage yard the next town over. I grabbed a Ranger shifter (one complete and one not).....Not sure of year but both looked the same.

So the trans shifter stub is different between the Ranger and F150. M5ODR1 vs. R2, The R1 stub is shorter inside the trans.

The shifter is really 3 parts (4 if you count the locking bolt, 5 if you count the plastic boot ring thing) Knob, shaft and the bottom part that mounts to the shifter stub is all I'm concerned with. The Ranger shifter is not a direct bolt on due to the way the bottom part with mounting bolt mounts. The bolt is on the opposite side so it will not go onto the R2 trans stub and be useable. So I separated the lower part from the shaft (it's just blued on) on both the F150 and the Ranger and swapped the F150 lower to the Ranger.

The result is about a 2 plus inch lower shifter.......... Going to give it a try and see how it drives now before modifying more. Ranger Station has some info on modifying the trans stub to take the whole Ranger shifter. Might look at that next.

Tim

Attachments

• 20220310_153109.jpg
    20220310_153109.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220310_154538.jpg
    20220310_154538.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220310_154550.jpg
    20220310_154550.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220310_161339.jpg
    20220310_161339.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Do you feel like you have enough leverage?
The M5R2 shifts like butter IMO so you don't really have to leverage it into gear at all. I think the ZF is harder shifting. Now the factory shifter is "spongie" because it's just a tube filled with a polyurethane type substance. If you grab the factory shifter it will twist slightly in your hand. Many come loose over time. The one that came with my M5R2 was loose. The connection between the lower part that mounts to the trans and the shifter "shaft" has a 3 piece fast pitch softball bat feel to it. It flexes with pressure. I can only guess that's by design. Hard to describe. It's not what I would call a positive feel to it like the 3 speed floor shifter had or like a T5 has due to how the shifter is put together. Maybe once I glue it all up it will be a bit more positive but it's still going to flex. I wrapped the lower part in tape then forced the to pieces together like you would put grips on a golf club. Will glue it later.

I'm going back to the salvage yard tomorrow if the rain holds off and see if I can get the shifter stub from an F150 and look at modifying it to accept the whole Ranger shifter. A guy on Ranger Station made it work. That will shorten the shifter even more. More of a "can I do it" type thing at this point. I like a low shifter. Too many sports cars in my present and past I guess.

Also not all F150 shifters are the same. Some are longer than others. The one I grabbed today is longer than the open that came with my 2000 4.2L M5R2 and is angles differently.

I took it down the road and shifted quickly and it felt fine. Side note.......Man the 5 speed really keeps the W in the RPM band it likes. Very responsive......

Tim