• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone try a Holley model 4010?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Had a chance to examine a 4010 for sale cheap. This one had no provision for AT kick down so I passed, but it was very close to an Autolite 4100, a carb I've always loved and most the adjustable parts needed to dial it in are interchangeable with 2300,4150, and 4160s. It was light as a feather,and no leaky bowl gaskets. The Truck Avenger vent tube should work.
I've used many 2100,2150, and 4100 Autolites and they always worked well climbing steep grades and side angles. Of course they bump stall occasionally. But all carbs do that.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
Thats now summits brand carb and from what I've read its better then when holley had it. It rates as a above average carb and still has the features as the ford 4100 did it might be a good DD carb.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The 2100 and 4100s were always more than just daily drivers. I'd say AFBs are good DD carbs but the Autolites did a great job off road too. I can't get excited about rock crawling parks, or building a Bronco to compete with the tube frame crawlers that have no practical value. A good carb can get me down any Forest Service 4 wheel drive trail.
The Autolites are low maintenance. responsive, and give better MPGs than any carb design I've tried, but parts to dial them in are hard to find. There's no vacuum secondary spring selection for example. The 4150-4160 style can be set up to run as well but the gaskets dry out and then leak. A well dialed in AFB runs strong for many years ,trouble free, but doesn't like any angles, and won't give good fuel economy.
So the Holley 4010 might be a way around the inadequacies of other designs. I was hoping someone had some first hand experience.

vintage bronco

The 2100 and 4100s were always more than just daily drivers. I'd say AFBs are good DD carbs but the Autolites did a great job off road too. I can't get excited about rock crawling parks, or building a Bronco to compete with the tube frame crawlers that have no practical value. A good carb can get me down any Forest Service 4 wheel drive trail.
The Autolites are low maintenance. responsive, and give better MPGs than any carb design I've tried, but parts to dial them in are hard to find. There's no vacuum secondary spring selection for example. The 4150-4160 style can be set up to run as well but the gaskets dry out and then leak. A well dialed in AFB runs strong for many years ,trouble free, but doesn't like any angles, and won't give good fuel economy.
So the Holley 4010 might be a way around the inadequacies of other designs. I was hoping someone had some first hand experience.

You can use secondary springs from Holley on autolite 4100 i do it all the time with great results !

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'm also considering a 4100 so the vacuum secondary springs from Holley would help. But let's face there aren't any new ones around and there wont be. That's why they command big $ in good condition.The Summit- Holley 4010 is new, so if they work as well as I know a 4100 does, it would be a great option. My question was an attempt to find problems with the 4010 that first hand experience may have exposed. The Autolite 2100, 2150,and 4100s have been the best overall carbs I've owned, but I already own a lot of carbs and don't want to start with a new type before I hear from someone who has used one in a 4x4.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
. The 4150-4160 style can be set up to run as well but the gaskets dry out and then leak.

Dont mean to sound like a wiseass, but....
How's that work? Dry out and leak. Hmmm

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
When a carb sits for several days the fuel in the float bowls evaporates (dries out) the bowl gaskets on Holleys dry out too. After this happens repeatedly for a couple years they no longer seal fuel in the bowl when the engine is started so the fuel leaks out. Not sure if they crack or warp but I know they leak. So if you use Holley 2300,4150, or 4160 carbs, you have to rebuild them more often than other carbs.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
One thing bad about the 4010 is the fuel inlets come straight out of the carb,which interfer with air cleaner heights. At the time holley had the dual feed angle down fuel line, summits carb fixed that by standardize it with holleys duel feed line sets.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
When a carb sits for several days the fuel in the float bowls evaporates (dries out) the bowl gaskets on Holleys dry out too. After this happens repeatedly for a couple years they no longer seal fuel in the bowl when the engine is started so the fuel leaks out. Not sure if they crack or warp but I know they leak. So if you use Holley 2300,4150, or 4160 carbs, you have to rebuild them more often than other carbs.

Ill be sure to tell my holleys that theyre supposed to be leaking

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The fordmuscleforum thread was interesting. The interchangeability of the 4010 boosters with the 4100 opens up some possibilities. Unfortunately they didn't look into 4x4 use. I know now that all the part selection of the 4160 could apply to a 4100, if one in good shape can be found for a reasonable price. Restored examples cost as much as a Truck Avenger or more. I'm still inclined to go with the 4100 because the ones I used in street cars were as reliable as an AFB but with better fuel economy. The 2100 and 2150s that came on my Broncos were the same design as the front half of the 4100 and did a better job off road than 4150-4160 Holleys.