• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone try the wavetrac diff?

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Anyone on here use a wave trac diff? To what ive heard the are some tuff MOFO's. I know its pricey but im thinking abt outting my rearend build off till the summer to get a moser built third member with one of these and 4.30 gears.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
After reading the discription, the way I under stand it's like a Tru-Trac with friction plates that help it to lock up with a zero load on one tire situtation? And the friction plates are replaceable to get the desired lock up?

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Ive been reading up on them a bit. Most seem to be used in drag cars and street cars with 600-1000rwhp... Just sayin its pricy but i think its worth a shot.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Damn man the best of both world for on/off road. I was going to buy the grizzly locker, but now I'm going to look into these, but they are pretty damn expensive though. We will see.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a lot of customers running these on their pro-touring muscle car applications with 500HP or more at the rear wheels, about where the Tru-Trac's seem to become increasingly unreliable. They work great for high traction environments such as road racing, however I don't have any off-road (dirt) experience with them, so I'm curious as well. I've talked with them at SEMA last year and the guy I was talking to didn't have much dirt experience either, at least not outside of rally racing, so he couldn't really answer many of my questions.

For similar performance, there have always been alternative helical torque-biasing traction devices to the Tru-Trac, but rated for higher HP applications, offered by companies like Quaife, Torsen, etc, however their costs are right up their with the Wave-Trac units at about $1000+.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've got a Torsen T-2 in my Contour SVT - obviously didn't do much dirt use, but it was nothing short of awesome all of the time.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Ya know what kyleq theres the torsen t-2r that works with te dana 44 that works similar to the wavetrac.... Hmm... Might turn to an expensive project lol.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
What's the advantage with this type of locker, compared to a Detroit? Those are awfully spendy. I bought this Detroit and a Strange nodular case for under $600. A few complain about the popping and torque steer of the Detroit. Doesn't seem to be to noticeable to me. Mine's a daily driver. Yes, the open carrier was smoother on the street. I like the 100% lock up of the Detroit, and I feel the Detroits are more durable than the ARB's.

Mark

http://completeoffroad.com/i-7601497-detroit-locker-for-ford-9-with-31-spline-axles-and-a-3-250-dropout-det187s-188a.html

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
To what ive read the wavetracs feel just like an open carrier in town but still lock up. I guess thats the way to put it. Seeing how mine is mostly a street rig and i hate doin stuff twice it seems like a pretty bullet proof setup.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Im a big fan of new technology ;). If it could cross the barrier to a mostly full locker id be happy.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Curious as to why you would get this over a Truetrac. Are you pushing that much HP?

Well if he ever plans to do some rock crawling and he happens to get one wheel in the air the wavetrac will become like a full time locker, and at the same time on the street he will have great road manners. It's kind of like the ARB i guess, but better. You are running a limited slip on the street, where as the ARB is open.
The true trac is just a limited slip so if he gets one wheel in the air(zero traction) they will not lock up and therefore become point less.

That's my understanding of the two.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Well if he ever plans to do some rock crawling and he happens to get one wheel in the air the wavetrac will become like a full time locker, and at the same time on the street he will have great road manners. It's kind of like the ARB i guess, but better. You are running a limited slip on the street, where as the ARB is open.
The true trac is just a limited slip so if he gets one wheel in the air(zero traction) they will not lock up and therefore become point less.

That's my understanding of the two.

Thats about what im understanding.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Definitly sounds like the best of both worlds. It would be nice to see it tested offroad where is can see shock loads and other stresses that normally wouldnt be seen on a track. The only thing I dont like the sound of is "friction plates" That sounds like a component that will eventually wear out and need replacement. Hopefully one of the offroad mags will pick it up and do some real world testing and a write up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, who is the actual manufacturer? Any inside pics of this?

At SEMA I see a lot of diff makers that are not known in the standard US offroad market. Trying to figure which one of them is making this. If you read the application list you see a lot of european models. Looks like an established manufacturer is trying to make inroads into the US market.

I don't see anything to scare me away. What I see looks good. Trouble is I don't see much.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Looks like Autotech driveline out of CA makes it. Pretty pricey for a tru trac with friction discs. If the price was better I think it would be a good option. But who knows. The way i see it more parts and smaller gears coupled with some friction discs. All means more parts to wear out or fail.
The warrentee is not to bad of course if your offering a new product well you have to back it up. Just dont loose your proof of purchase.
It would be nice to see some 4wd testing of these and a little more info like tire size limits if any. I know tru trac limits you to 32in. But in the end I think price is a killer on these.