• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone use a Mr. Gasket Fuel Pressure Regulator???

GSP9

Loc.
State College
A previous owner put one of these fuel regulators on ahead of the carb. So the fuel line came up and into the fuel regulator, then into a large fuel filter (looked too big for the application), and then into the carb. I never really cared for the set up because it just looked too busy for lack of a better term. The regulator goes from 1 to 5 and this one was always set on 1. About 5 years ago they rebuilt the motor and put a 4 barrel intake and carb on. So I kind of assumed maybe they had a reason for putting the regulator in there.

So tonight I'm backing out the Bronco and smell gas. Look out by the door and it looks like a stream of gas on the ground. Shut it down and pop the hood and it's all over the place. Clean everything up and tapped the ignition to see where it was coming from and sure enough it's just dumping it out of this regulator. So I head up to Pepboys and get a new fuel filter and some fuel line. Saw the regulator there for $34 but didn't think it was worth it. Anyone use one of these things and think there is any benefit on a stock 302 with a 4 barrel?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Short answer: Likely not.

Longer answer needs to know: What carb and what fuel pump?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, Most carbs do not like more than 6 PSI fuel pressure. Check your pressure if you can. High pressure can be caused by a faulty by pass in a mechanical fuel pump. Good luck

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those are total pos regulators. Weird thing is that us old guys have known that for thirty years or more....yet they are still sold.

The number one reason for adding a regulator is to improve trail manners. My old school bestest trail setup was a 2100 carb with a regulator set at 1-2 psi.

EB70

Contributor
I used that exact regulator. It did exactly the same thing. Horrible product. Run.....

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Pretty much ANYTHING made or sold by Mr. Trashket is junk and has been junk for the last 30+ years. Cagle's are an inexpensive solution that seems to work, but it's money better spent on a real regulator IF one is needed at all.

OP
OP
G

GSP9

Loc.
State College
Thanks guys. Not sure what fuel pump is in there and the carb is a Holley "Performance Carb" 8050B. Not sure of CFM, I didn't get a chance to pull the air cleaner this morning to see what other numbers were listed on the carb. You start working on these things and it becomes a puzzle as to what previous owners have done thru the years and you're trying to guess the reasoning that went into some of this stuff.

After I posted last night I did see a few horror stories of those pressure regulators on youtube. I saw a few vids where they were certainly leaking but not like mine was. It was GUSHING out of mine.

I think I'll stop on my way home and pick up a fuel pressure gauge and see where I stand as far as pressure is concerned. I'll probably pick up some fuel line too. What size fuel line is standard.......5/16?

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
Fuel Regulator - Cagle

Look on ebay for a cagle

Cagle are Obsolete (I was a Distributor for them), when the owner died the family did not want to keep the business. I have not heard or seen anyone that is making them or continuing them.

I found one on the self (long lost) that I'm using on my build. I have a used one, but, don't know what kind of condition it's in, haven't tested it. If, the can be had, i would check Leon Rosser Jeep Parts, (if , they are still in business) they had the last of them, available.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The Cagle regulator flat out works for its intended purpose. Shame its gone. I have been running mine for over 20 years. Obsolete these days with the change over to fuel injection by almost everyone. A couple of years ago the family released a few old stock on E-Bay and I was fortunate to grab a couple of them as my back-up plan. They were originally designed for off shore boats to limit fuel flow on bumpy water when the motors were not running wide open. Not much of a boat race if your carb floods over just before you hit the throttle when the green flag flies.

The regulator was vacuum controlled at idle. At low speed the high vacuum signal restricted fuel pressure so when the boat or truck was bumping about the float in the carb would bounce and let fuel in excessive fuel and then flood the carb. This regulator restricted the fuel pressure from 4-6 psi down to 1-1/2 psi. Reduced pressure means less fuel to over fill and flood the carb. Once you really open the throttle the vacuum would drop and the regulator flow would increase back to standard non restricted fuel pressure.

The value of these things has done better than my 401 K

You can do this manually with a standard adjustable fuel regulator. Adjust the regulator to 1-1/2 to 2 psi on slow speed bumpy trails but remember to raise it back up to 4-6 psi before you go running down the highway. The problem with the manual method is once you hit a high speed run in your trail you wont have the needed fuel unless you stop and readjust the regulator. That was the beauty of the cagle regulator it did it automatically.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can buy excellent vacuum/pressure-modulated fuel pressure regulators these days from Aeromotive. I've used them on our race trucks over the years as well as other builds.

But they are pricey..very.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
The number one reason for adding a regulator is to improve trail manners. My old school bestest trail setup was a 2100 carb with a regulator set at 1-2 psi.

This.

We all used them back to reduce fuel pressure down to a trickle so your carbs did not flood out.
Now, we have learned more about carb and how to build them for off road use.
Junk it.