• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone using elect radiator fan?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I am on my 351W. Using the one WH sells and modified my factory shroud to work.

Tim

Attachments

• 20160703_124945.jpg
    20160703_124945.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 76

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A lot of us have tried, many have failed.

The Bronco radiator is a bit on the small side. Physically that is all there is room for. So for it to work it takes a powerful fan working hard to move the air. Part of that power is to overcome the restriction of the of the radiator itself. Most every aftermarket fan lists CFM numbers that mean nothing. Spal is the only one I know of that will list CFM numbers with a pressure drop value. That is what the fan will move with an actual radiator in front of it. Spal is also a huge supplier of electric fans for most new car manufacturers.

Now this power, well it takes power. It is common for a good cooling fan (the defacto junkyard fan is from a Taraus) draws big amps. 30-40 running amps and start up spikes of upwards of 80 amps are common for a fan that can really move enough air to keep a Bronco cool. That kind of amperage is more then a stock alternator can really handle. So an upgraded alternator, which needs a new charge wire as the stock Bronco harness can't accept a high amp alternator. Next we run into the limitations of a single V-belt trying to transmit enough power into the alternator.

jimschulz

Loc.
Eastern Washington
I used that fan on my 5.0 roller engine. Works great, but I did have the original fan bearings fail at just 3000 miles. Summit overnited a new fan and I was back up in a day. It is a quiet fan as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
I used that fan on my 5.0 roller engine. Works great, but I did have the original fan bearings fail at just 3000 miles. Summit overnited a new fan and I was back up in a day. It is a quiet fan as well.
How did you setup the relays and did you use the 2 speed or just single. I am going to use my FItech to control the fan but need to use relays and don't know what to buy.

jimschulz

Loc.
Eastern Washington
I had FiTech in and used the two leads to control seperate relays, one for High and one for Low. I have since taken out the FiTech and am just using a single temp sensor to switch both relays. The fans worked great with fiTech, but just be sure the low speed fan always kicks on first, or the fuse will blow. I used standard 5 pin bosch style relays. The 2 speed setup was nice because you can set the low speed to keep temps down during normal driving and the high kicks in when its under heavy slow moving use. Here is a pic of my relays.

Attachments

• Relays.jpg
    Relays.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
I had FiTech in and used the two leads to control seperate relays, one for High and one for Low. I have since taken out the FiTech and am just using a single temp sensor to switch both relays. The fans worked great with fiTech, but just be sure the low speed fan always kicks on first, or the fuse will blow. I used standard 5 pin bosch style relays. The 2 speed setup was nice because you can set the low speed to keep temps down during normal driving and the high kicks in when its under heavy slow moving use. Here is a pic of my relays.
Curious......did you do away with the Fitech all together or just to control the fan?

jimschulz

Loc.
Eastern Washington
I took the FiTech out and put my 1405 carb back on. Got tired of fighting the FiTech. I had a lean idle miss that I spent 6 months trying to figure out. In the end after total frustration, I put the carb back on and it purrs like a kitten. If I ran a company's customer service/Tech support like FiTech does, I wouldnt have a company very long.... I sent the FiTech back after they finally gave me a RMA and it was returned in 10 days, loosely thrown in the box and no explanation of what they did or found wrong (If anything). I have tried calling twice and get the "Mailbox Full" message. I may try to play with it again this spring, but the carb runs pretty darn good right now.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I took the FiTech out and put my 1405 carb back on. Got tired of fighting the FiTech. I had a lean idle miss that I spent 6 months trying to figure out. In the end after total frustration, I put the carb back on and it purrs like a kitten. If I ran a company's customer service/Tech support like FiTech does, I wouldnt have a company very long.... I sent the FiTech back after they finally gave me a RMA and it was returned in 10 days, loosely thrown in the box and no explanation of what they did or found wrong (If anything). I have tried calling twice and get the "Mailbox Full" message. I may try to play with it again this spring, but the carb runs pretty darn good right now.

It is experiences like Jim's that had me waiting to see what Holley would do.
I appreciate what FItech did, ie..Forced Holley to produce a competing product. I like to support the little guy in every arena except sometimes with the eb. Driving it is a wonderful stress reliever for me. The last thing I need is fighting a FItech issue. The fact is, my T/A is fine...I just can't leave anything alone....And fuel injection is the next step...And like I said I can't leave anything alone... Haha.

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
I'm running a 90s model Taurus 2 speed fan on my 351 powered wheeler. It moves a tremendous amount of air but pulls a lot of amps. A LOT!

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
I'm running a 90s model Taurus 2 speed fan on my 351 powered wheeler. It moves a tremendous amount of air but pulls a lot of amps. A LOT!
I am going to run the 4G explorer alternator, will that handle the amperage of an electric fan? Besides that, is a relay the only other thing I'll need?

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Sorry to hear you had such bad luck with the FItech. Haven't run mine in the truck yet but we did dyno my 351w with it an it was flawless.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I am going to run the 4G explorer alternator, will that handle the amperage of an electric fan? Besides that, is a relay the only other thing I'll need?

That 2 speed Taurus fan would have been accompanied by a 3G alternator so your 4G should be fine.