• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anything I should know about buying a 77?

OP
OP
J

jj_jenkins

What would you spend to by this Bronco? Pb, ps, a/c, all original equipment present, clean and straight, but not restored or "show" quality. Cut fenders.

Last edited:

gtnorga

make sure it's bone stock from an emissions perspective. That means 2 barrel carb, egr, cats, single exhaust, air injection, evap system with canister. If I were to do it all over again I would do 75 or earlier.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
What would you spend to by this Bronco? Pb, ps, a/c, all original equipment present, clean and straight, but not restored or "show" quality. Cut fenders.

I assume it runs, drives, four wheel drive works ?

That is the hardest one to answer without at least seeing pics of it and every market is different.

Here in CO, what you describe could go anywhere from 7k to 15k depending on condition, etc.

I am looking at a well appointed 76 with all the good stuff and it is only worth 500 bucks because it isn't running and has significant rust.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE

Welcome jj,

I spent 10.5K on a cut fender all stock 76 with 75K on the odometer. And it has very little rust, everything works and it runs good. Check out my 76 in my Garage. I've also owned a couple 77's over the years. Great years 76 & 77 to pick up, do to the options that were available in the later models. I lifted the Blue 77 (sorry no pic' after the lift) 2.5" suspension and 1" body and ran 33" x 12.5" tires on 10" wheels. I also added an adjustable track bar to re-position the front axle due to the lift. It drove great and I had no issues with the inverted Y steering set up. I did some serious wheeling with that 77 and never bent or broke anything.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you need to keep the motor stock because of emission testing, you can still change your gear ratio to something more suitable to your tires and driving. I honestly think my swap to 4.11s improved the performance more than all the motor stuff I did. The actual emission test for these really isn't that strict. It's the fact that all the equipment has to be there that's the clincher. Mine passed once even with the guts all blown out of the catalytic converter.

wheelsblank27

Loc.
You're right. I can only go on what I have been told about mileage. It doesn't look like 180k to me, but you can sometimes never tell. As far as the engine, probably just tuneup and maybe fuel injection down the road. It needs an exhaust update and that's about it. If CA starts rolling the emissions exemption again I will have freedom to soup it up a bit more.

Yea, NO! I played the waiting game when I owned my 77' Camaro, never again! Ive had way more fun with the 2 66' nova s and68' chevelle i owned.Also don't plan on any EFI swap, it must retain all original engine parts to pass smog.
The more I think about a post 75' car in Cali , it's just a bad idea unless completely stock , that's what you want, and $ is a couple k less than average in southern California.

wheelsblank27

Loc.
I could go into depth on why carb won't continue w a 25 year classic law amend. And if u are interested pm me but California is supposed to be a leader and innovator of low emission vehicles. For every high emission car ( v8) a dealership sells they have to sell 25+Prius . It's crazy but the tree huggers are keepin us gas junkies afloat.

OP
OP
J

jj_jenkins

Welcome jj,

I spent 10.5K on a cut fender all stock 76 with 75K on the odometer. And it has very little rust, everything works and it runs good. Check out my 76 in my Garage. I've also owned a couple 77's over the years. Great years 76 & 77 to pick up, do to the options that were available in the later models. I lifted the Blue 77 (sorry no pic' after the lift) 2.5" suspension and 1" body and ran 33" x 12.5" tires on 10" wheels. I also added an adjustable track bar to re-position the front axle due to the lift. It drove great and I had no issues with the inverted Y steering set up. I did some serious wheeling with that 77 and never bent or broke anything.

I'm floored you picked that up for that price. Nice! You have to remember I'm dealing with CA inflation here...