• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD Adapting Help

kbronco

I'm looking for a little info on the AOD conversion. What I've got is an AOD out of a mustang that I'm looking at putting into the '69 Bronco.

First off, the rig is currently a 3 spd on the floor and I'm trying to put together a list of all the parts I'll need to swap out to go auto. Just want a little help so I don't forget anything when I'm ready to do the swap. Auto starter, flexplate, torque converter, tv cable, etc.

Second, I'm looking for a little more info on a adapting the AOD to the Dana 20. I know advance adapters makes a kit for $5 or 600. Just wondering if there's a less expensive way. Thought I'd read something about using a tail housing and output off a 4wd version???

Anyway sorry for the long post, but would appreciate any help.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
If you are keeping the d20 the best way to go is the AA adapter- JBG has the best price I found. The Tshift is the easiest to adapt. If you are running a regular 302 you will need the 28oz flywheel and 11.5 converter- stick with low stall to keep the heat down. Definately run a adition cooler. Lokar makes the TV cable you need. the stock crossmember can easily be modified or by the one from Toms. JB fab make the twin stick shifter set up for this conversion which works perfect.

high5

does anyone have any info on MPG increase when switching from a stock manual or C4 trans to an AOD?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
does anyone have any info on MPG increase when switching from a stock manual or C4 trans to an AOD?

Not knowing engine, tires or gearing you are making this a real wild stab in the dark. So lets throw out some normal stuff, carbed 302, 3.50 gears and 31's. Good generic Bronco to go with the generic question. Probably go down 3 MPG (yes down, not up) because you are not gearing for the whole package.

Now if you have a nice drivable bronco now and you doan AOD with correct axle gearing as well you may gain 1 MPG give or take 1, so 0 to 2 MPG gain. You got to think that A bronco isn't throwing gas mileage away because it is geared wrong, it is throwing it away because it can't cut through the wind cleanly and generally people put on tires with a lot of rolling resistance. With stuff like that you are not going to get anywhere near a honda civic. New these things were rated for something like 12 MPG, on the best of days.

high5

Not knowing engine, tires or gearing you are making this a real wild stab in the dark. So lets throw out some normal stuff, carbed 302, 3.50 gears and 31's. Good generic Bronco to go with the generic question. Probably go down 3 MPG (yes down, not up) because you are not gearing for the whole package.

Now if you have a nice drivable bronco now and you doan AOD with correct axle gearing as well you may gain 1 MPG give or take 1, so 0 to 2 MPG gain. You got to think that A bronco isn't throwing gas mileage away because it is geared wrong, it is throwing it away because it can't cut through the wind cleanly and generally people put on tires with a lot of rolling resistance. With stuff like that you are not going to get anywhere near a honda civic. New these things were rated for something like 12 MPG, on the best of days.

so in other words it is not worth my time/effort/money to swap. thanks for the info.

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

If you are keeping the d20 the best way to go is the AA adapter- JBG has the best price I found. The Tshift is the easiest to adapt. If you are running a regular 302 you will need the 28oz flywheel and 11.5 converter- stick with low stall to keep the heat down. Definately run a adition cooler. Lokar makes the TV cable you need. the stock crossmember can easily be modified or by the one from Toms. JB fab make the twin stick shifter set up for this conversion which works perfect.

Thanks gravy, a lot of good information there. I'm running a 5.0 efi motor, non-roller, so I'm pretty sure its all 50 oz stuff on it. As I said in my first post its got a stock 3 spd in it now so can I run the same flywheel that's on it now? Also the tyranny came with the stock mustang converter and tv cable. Would I need to swap those out?

Also, on the tcase, would it work with a different case and no adapter? Like an NP205? Thanks for all the help gents.

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

I'm personally more interested in it for the drop in rpm at hwy speed than big mpg gains. With the 3 spd and 4.11's in mine the engine is singing pretty good on the hwy.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm personally more interested in it for the drop in rpm at hwy speed than big mpg gains. With the 3 spd and 4.11's in mine the engine is singing pretty good on the hwy.

That's what an overdrive does. What is your current freeway RPM? (can only guess as we don't kow your tire size right now). Take that number and multiply that by 2/3 (RPM x .667), is that enough RPM for the engine to be happy running down the hisghway? If it is currently 3000 RPM, the OD RPM will be 2000. But if you are at 2000 RPM now, you will drop to 1300 RPM which is too low.

The .667 OD is the ratio for the AOD, other transmissions have different ratios. The 4R70W is .70 and others are around .75

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

Yeah I've done all the math on the AOD and think it'll work out nicely for this little driver that I'm working on. Should work out to be about 2100 rpm at 70. Not looking for racer power just a nice cruiser/driver.

Looks like the JBG kit from Advance Adapters would be the best way to go. $479.00 looks like the best price.