• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD Neutral Safety Switch!!

Bhall75

Loc.
Atlanta
I am almost done with my EFI/AOD swap in my '77. One of my hold-ups is the neutral safety switch. Can anyone PLEASE shed some light on how to hook this thing up!? The engine is an 89 mustang H.O. with the AOD trans. It has the Neutral Safety Switch on the trans. I have all the harnesses but am confused as to how to hook them up. My EFI harness and chassis is both from Painless Performance.

Thanks!

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I am almost done with my EFI/AOD swap in my '77. One of my hold-ups is the neutral safety switch. Can anyone PLEASE shed some light on how to hook this thing up!? The engine is an 89 mustang H.O. with the AOD trans. It has the Neutral Safety Switch on the trans. I have all the harnesses but am confused as to how to hook them up. My EFI harness and chassis is both from Painless Performance.

Thanks!

So you have this plug that goes onto the N/S?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...Bw82OPx84A0tALlYbSgpCpZR-bggx3kHIEBoCC9Pw_wcB

The start power led on the painless chassis harness travels through this switch before connecting to the starter relay on the Pass inner fender...

OP
OP
B

Bhall75

Loc.
Atlanta

pbwcr

Gotta schematic for your year and a DVM? If so all the AOD switch does is open/close the circuit to the starter Solenoid. 2 wires. The other 2 wires allow open/close to turn on/off the backup lights.
Without the schematic use the DVM find & chase the wires then splice in the AOD switch.
Use the DVM to id the wires in the AOD switch.
Pretty easy.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you tell me where both wires should go? Blu/Red and white/pink?

If you have the Painless Bronco-specific harness, then your wire colors match the Ford colors for the most part.
So as your chassis Blue w/red wire that would normally go straight to the starter relay on a manual trans, has to go to this Neutral Safety Switch first. Connect it to one of the Blue w/red wires, then run the other one the rest of the way to the starter relay's "S" post.

The White w/pink wire is not the same as the earlier Bronco wire color (would be Black w/red usually), but unless there is something unusual about an AOD NSS, then that would be your backup light circuit. Hooks up to your Painless backup lamp wires in-line between the harness and the lights.

As mentioned, both are just simple open/close (off/on) switches. Nothing weird about them luckily.

Paul